10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 12:30 AM by kristian

TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)

Apprentice

I have several computers on different LANDesk core servers running in to the same annoying problem:

After login, two TaskQueue popups appear.

At first I thought this was related to the article DOC-21980.

However, the popups were not returning after 30 seconds and the "Allow service to interact with desktop" is already disabled.

Digging deeper I found that the computers in questions had a registry key under Run which will start sdclient.exe with /E and /RunAtLogin

Running the same command from cmd.exe will make the same TaskQueue popups appear so it's very easy to reproduce.

On computers without this registry key, popups do not appear if I add the regkey or run the command manually.

Local scheduler does not contain any software distribution related tasks on either computers.

This leaves me to assume that there might be broken records in the local ldclientdb.db3 causing the problem.

I've attached a screen shot showing the two popups, the registry key and the parameters with which TaskQueue is started.

Does anyone have a clear understanding on when the "sdclient" registry key under Run is created and how the sdclient.exe /RunAtLogin works.

Will sdclient.exe /RunAtLogin indeed read the local database for jobs and if so, is there any other way to delete the jobs beside recreating it?

• 1. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
          Apprentice

Seems this is a hard nut to crack...

After investigating the case further this is my theory on what is happening:

1) A job with id 505 has been pushed to the clients with a delivery method configured to "Delay until next login"

2) Later, as the computer is restarted a vulneratbility scan job with task 36 is fired

3) A user then logs in and the "sdclient" Run key is read by Windows, starting sdclient.exe /E /RunAtLogin

4) This will attempt to start the 505 task

5) The sdclient tries to queue the task as there is already another task running

6) TaskQueue doesn't understand the format or recieves an invalid argument, thus prompting the user with the popups shown.

From the client's sdclient.log file:

Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:04:04 4272 4276 Cannot start sdclient for task -1, the task 36 is being processed on the client

Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:04:05 4272 4276 Cannot start sdclient for task -1, the task 36 is being processed on the client

The two lines would probably releate to the two popups.

At least now I've found a workaround.

If I wait for the task to finish (task 36) then manually start sdclient.exe /E /RunAtLogin, the task 505 will run, remove the sdclient task and thus solve the problem.

I would however, very much like to know WHY this is happening and how to permanently fix it.

Any idea is much appreciated.

• 2. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
            bcstring SupportEmployee

Kristian,

Can you provide me with steps to duplicate this issue, I'd like to try it in my own lab to see if I can reproduce your issue.

Thanks,

Bryce.

• 3. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
              Apprentice

Thanks, for answering Bryce.

I've tried to dup this in my own lab, but I can't make the "sdclient" registry key under Run appear.

This is essential since TaskQueue won't pop up unless it's run in the user's context.

This is why I'm looking for any information on the implementation of the "sdclient" key.

On my test client, the task is scheduled and run at next login, but not with the help of a registry key.

The deployment method used is "Install at next login distribution" with the "Allow the user to delay running the package - Delay until next login automatically" checked.

• 4. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                bcstring SupportEmployee

Have you tried scheduling the task, and allowing the user to defer the action, rather than auto-defer? I can try it later today as well, but have a few other issues I have to give some attention to first. If you get a chance, let me know your results.

• 5. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                  Apprentice

Thanks for following up!

I modified the deployment method so the user can defer the task and tested on a client. Unfortunately, no "sdclient" registry key was created, but that seems logical: The user can delay the task for 1 hour, but not until next login. Thus I found the task in the list for the Local Scheduler due to start 1 hour later.

Did a quick scan in the customer's environment and uncovered that the key is present on about 10% of all computers

If I only knew how to make the client create the "sdclient" registry key...

• 6. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                    bcstring SupportEmployee

Kristian,

I am still researching this and will update you once I have more info.

Thanks,

Bryce.

• 7. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                      Apprentice

To work around the problem, we have now disabled all jobs using the "delay until next login" delivery method and I've deleted the registry key on all computers where it was present.

Customer was getting so frustrating it was more important removing the annoyance than fixing the problem. However, this is more a temporary fix as the next Java update will require us to enable the jobs again...

Hopefully, with your help we can reproduce the problem and find a more permanent fix.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                        cbullen Rookie

Hi,

Did anything come of this? I'm seeing the same thing: 2 x error boxes following a delay until next login software distribution.

The only odd thing I can see in the logs (sdclient.log) is:

Wed, 29 Jan 2014 01:55:43 FlushClientTaskQueue: successfully done

Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:26:46 Cannot start sdclient for task -1, the task 638 is being processed on the client

Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:26:46 bind or column index out of range

Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:26:46 Cannot start sdclient for task -1, the task 638 is being processed on the client

Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:26:46 bind or column index out of range

• 9. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                          bcstring SupportEmployee

cbullen,

This may be part of an issue we had where the client side Policy Database did not get updated when the Agent was upgraded to SP1. In which case it would be best to call into support as there has not been a one size fits all solution yet.

Thanks,

Bryce.

• 10. Re: TaskQueue popup (not DOC-21980)
                            Apprentice

I talked to LANDesk support who helped me reproduce the registry key modifying a Delivery Method.

We could not however, reprocude the issue.

Ended up working around the problem:

Modified ldappl3 to pick up the key "sdclient" in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run

Inventory scanner thus reported which clients was affected.

These clients were set to delete the key with a small batch script running "reg delete".

The problem didn't return, so we closed the case.