3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 1:23 PM by derekhamaker

Batch Deployment using Local System Account

Rookie

I'm having trouble fully deploying a piece of software.  The software installs fine but due to the software being installed using the Local System Account as the option in the Software Distribution package it doesnt add the software to the start menu.  I thought turning the software into a batch file package i could add the xcopy command and manually copy over the folder/shortcut but this is not working. If i run the bat locally it works or if i switch the Accounts to Current User's account that works also (user is an admin)  We are removing admin access to all users so this method wont work moving forward.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's what i currently have in my batch:

msiexec /i G2MSetup5.8.1189_IT.msi TRANSFORMS="G2M.mst" G2MRUNATLOGON=true ALLUSERS=1 /qn

::W7 profile::

copy GoToMeeting.lnk "%USERPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" /Y

::XP profile::

copy GoToMeeting.lnk "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\" /Y

• 1. Re: Batch Deployment using Local System Account
          MrGadget Expert

Can't tell you why this is happening but try this.

Download Psexec from the internet (google it).

Copy psexec.exe to the root (c:\) directory of the computer your are running your batch on.

Edit your batch file and put a pause after every line. Now copy the batch file to the root directory of the computer you are working on.

Get a command prompt and change to c:\  type in the command prompt psexec -i -s cmd.exe (this runs under sytem account)

When this 2nd command box pops up change to c:\ then type in the name of the batch file.

If the line is successful you'll get a pause, hit space bar and continue until the bad line will give you a error message.

• 2. Re: Batch Deployment using Local System Account
            riccafer Apprentice

Copy files to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (for Windows 7), this makes visible to each user of that PC the link. If you want to copy link files only to specified users account you should modify the MSI with Orca (or other software like it).

• 3. Re: Batch Deployment using Local System Account
              derekhamaker Apprentice

Agreed. Though I would use the variable "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu". This will help,too, to account for WinXP clients as well as Win7/8.

Your current script using %userprofile% will only add it for the active profile! which in this deployment scenario is Local System.

-Derek