7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 5:57 AM by Carl.Simpson

Analyst last login time

Expert

Hi Guys,

Fairly sure I've asked this before but can't find the old thread.

But I've been asked again to by my new CIO so...

We have some 210 analyst licences (all fixed - still on 7.4) which are now all assigned - but we are fairly certain that some are not being used.  Anywhere else we could simply ask the various departments but politics can get in the way in our institution.

As I understand it, there's no way to query when an analyst last used LanDesk.

The user session data only goes back a few days - at least on our system (as gets very heavy).

The last logout attribute on the analyst BO shows very old dates that obviously don't match what I'm after (probably because most are WebDesk users).

Is there something clever I can do that can record a date against an action that won't slow the system down?

I suspect any calculations would require new relationships to the User object that would kill LanDesk stone dead speed wise - but thought I'd ask anyway in case someone else has any clever ideas.

(Don't want to go down the exporting remas of data to Crystal route, as Crytsal Reports is the spawn of Satan.  Really.  )

Cheers - Adam.

• 1. Re: Analyst last login time
          Expert

The only sure way that I know of is to use a trigger.  I am sure the analyst table has to be checked to validate logon. but how do you know they logged on?  How do you know when they logged off or were forced off?  Very hard to tell without adding code to check or audit.

I have an ER to add admin functions for tracking usage and licensing.  More votes always help so please check out some of these requests:

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2914

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/3218

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/3365

• 2. Re: Analyst last login time
            smiddleton Expert

1 option you might not have considered though its a bit clunky and not a nice solution at all, anyway here goes...

Assuming your web servers have tps logging for error's enabled, and that you either have calculations which fail but in such a way that it doesn't impact your performance

If you have the space on the web servers, let these files build up for a reasonable period, then use a powersheel script or vb script to read the file names and dump them into a csv with.

The tps logging files for the users get a new 1 created each day, so this gives a rather clunky method to get a list of logins and the date they logged in.

• 3. Re: Analyst last login time
              Expert

Someone could log on but do nothing and not show up.  You also don't get log off or booted off info.  If you could not log on due to not enough concurrent licenses they would never hit the log either.

• 4. Re: Analyst last login time
                smiddleton Expert

hmmm thats true. I recall something about tps logging the database transactions but using a filter for certain events, that might allow you to capture the specific events like logon.

I would have thought the tps logging or windows events would be capturing a message for no concurrent licenses available?

Another possibility that doesn't involve a trigger would be to copy the data from the user sessions table to a manually created table using a job that runs before the table gets cleared down, this might not capture the booted off info, but you certainly would capture a login and last active time.

Only other possible option I can think of is to use some custom IIS logging to capture particular web service events/calls. I looked at IIS logs a few weeks ago when trying to work out the users who were actively using the service portal (still on 7.3.2 unfortunately) this looked to be a really painfull method though.

I suggested the tps logging as from Adams description he needs to identify users who haven't used the system in months rather than just the last few days or how active they have been.

• 5. Re: Analyst last login time
                  Expert

Service Desk really needs these basic admin functions.  There is no good way to re-create the information, must be done in the program.  The silly thing is that knowing if users fail to log on due to not enough licenses will probably lead to a sale for more licenses.  Not having this feature is costing them money.

7.3.2?  You are missing out on soooo much.  Even console has had improvements.  Once you get to I think it was 7.4, the upgrades are a breeze.  The install method got redone and it is 1000 times better than it was before.  Adding patches is also super easy.  Makes it much easier to stay up to date with the new upgrade process.

• 6. Re: Analyst last login time
                    smiddleton Expert

Your right these values should be recorded against the user, tps_last_logout is updated but only for users logging in via console. It really needs to update for any method of using the product.

It would certainly make it easier for a customer to understand if they are having shortage of licenses on a frequent basis and more than likely would lead to the sale of additional licenses.

i know i know problem is to move to 7.4 and up the service portal in 7.3.2 ceases to work. So there would be no external access untill all the web access windows for end users had been created and a portal designed.

It's a real shame that they didn't allow for the old service portal to exist alongside the new self service platform in 7.4 and then depreciate it in 7.5.

I think I could have gotten agreement from the business to upgrade then

• 7. Re: Analyst last login time
                      Expert

Once you get past that big upgrade though, the next several are super easy and it is so much easier to stay up to date.I spent 11 hours on my upgrade because so much changed in the windows and dashboards.  But each since then has been less than half hour.