1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 3:41 AM by peter.wood

WinPE 4.0 and USB 3

Rookie

Anyone successfully get USB 3.0 Host and Hub drivers to inject via HII in a Windows 7 image with the new WinPE 4.0 that came with SP1?

I used to be able to load the host drivers in WinPE 3.0 to allow it to see the hub so HII could detect it was there.  In WinPE 4.0, there are no USB 3.0 drivers for it since its Windows 8 based (at least none that i can find).  I tried using the windows 7 drivers but it errors on loading during WinPE setup script. Using Lenovo devices, FWIW.

• 1. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
          Apprentice

You will need to find the Windows 8 driver for the USB 3.0 hub in order for it to detect. Look at the device ID of the hardware and see if you can find a generic windows 8 driver just to detect it. The appropriate driver in the landesk driver store will take over when it reboots to Windows 7.

• 2. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
            Apprentice

Hi, was there ever a solution for this?  It's the only issue I have with the latest Dell models (Optiplex 9020, Latitude 7240, 7440)

Thanks for any help.

• 3. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
              Rookie

no solution found still. WinPE 4.0 does not have usb3 drivers like its big brother, and since windows 8 doesnt "need" them no one has a win8 driver download.  i tried to the hacked up win7 versions that are supposed to load in win8, but they still don't work with WinPE 4.0.

Oh, well. This worked just fine with WinPE 3.0. Another failure of SP1

• 4. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                Apprentice

They will work... somewhat. The controller driver will identify and load, the USB root hub for the 3.0 controller still shows up as unidentified (driver doesnt download). When I have a chance I'm going to try just copying the driver into the lddriver folder and see if that will fix my problem the rest of the way.

• 5. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                  Rookie

Hi Brian,

Did you manage the fix this issue? I can get the Windows 7 x86 image working by injecting the usb3 drivers but I can't get it to work in Windows 7 x64.

Thanks,

Peter

• 6. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                    Apprentice

On one of the models, the USB 3 root hub driver didnt detect/install but the controller did. I copied the infs over to lddriverstore so the root hub would detect/install.

• 7. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                      Employee

Hey guys,

This is a currently known issue that should be resolved in 9.5 SP2.  The fix will require a small tweak to the way you might be running HII, so I want to give a heads up on it.

As people here have noticed USB 3 devices are difficult in WinPE because there are really a couple of drivers to install.  Until one is installed  - and the OS is reloaded - HII won't see the second one.  Obviously reloading WinPE would simply undo the original driver installation.  There are two ways to solve this problem and eventually we'll try to get both in.  The first one, which we are doing for 9.5 SP2, is to allow HII to run again within the context of Windows.  The idea is that when you run the HII action within WinPE it will get all the boot critical devices and as many of the other devices as possible.  This is great.  Then when you get to Windows you should be able to run it again and it will ideally detect all the rest of the devices and "fill in the gaps" so to speak.  The tweak you'll have to make is to add the HII action within the System Configuration section as well as the Post OS Install section so HII will actually run twice.  Right now if you run HII within the Windows section it just gets driver packages, not driver infs.  This change would make it do both manually assigned driver packages and auto-detected/manually assigned infs.

A current workaround is to find some generic piece of hardware on the device and assign the missing USB 3 driver to that hardware.  You would want to pick something that doesn't require a 3rd party driver for this.  When HII sees this hardware (that usually wouldn't pick up any drivers) it will check if you've assigned anything.  Since you've assigned the USB 3 driver we will download it with no questions asked.  In that way you can trick HII into bringing the driver down.  Once it's down to the device it should install correctly.

Let me know your thoughts on this resolution and also if you have any questions about the workaround.

Thanks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                        Apprentice

I think that would work as well. I went for the cleaner method of just copying the USB3 driver folder to the lddrivers to allow for a change/fix later that wouldn't require me to back-track.

Thank you for that detailed response, it helps to know it's an identified "feature" that is being looked at for remediation.

• 9. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                          Employee

Good point.  Copying the drivers is also a very viable workaround with few, if any, problems.  Seems like a good, clean solution while we fix the underlying problems.

• 10. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                            Rookie

This worked for me.  Had the issue of the "Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub" not installing the driver for the Dell E7240 and E6640, even though I'd specify the proper iusb3hub.inf driver to be assigned to the proper device name.  I had to assign the iusb3hub.inf driver to the "USB Root Hub" device instead of the "Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub" device. 

Here's a screenshot of what I did for the E7240.  Hope this helps.USB30ROOTHUB.PNG

• 11. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                              Rookie

Hi Mach6,

I'm still having difficulty installing 2 different drivers using the information in this thread.

1. Fingerprint driver for a laptop. I have packaged this when I deploy it through a scheduled task it works fine. I then added this package to the fingerprint driver for a laptop and added HII to system configuration but when it runs the driver still doesn't install?

2. USB3 driver. I assigned it to a generic device entry like you suggested and I can see it downloading via HII in the Post-OS installation but once the PC boots into the OS I still have the unknown driver?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

• 12. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                                Employee

torpedor, that is perfect!  The problem that we have right now is that the Intel USB 3 device is "hidden" behind the USB 3 Root Hub, so it doesn't always show up correctly in WinPE.  When 9.5 SP2 comes out the solution will be to re-run HII in Windows.  In the meantime what you did is perfect!

peter.wood,

For the fingerprint driver I would recommend running HiiClient /preview from within Windows on one of the affected devices.  This will create a log file called HiiPreview.log and will show all the drivers that will be installed and whether they were auto-detected or manually assigned.  Obviously all software package drivers are manually assigned.  Make sure that it shows up there as something that will run.  If it is showing up that it should run then make a template that just does HII within windows and gather the hiiclient log and attach it here (or open a support ticket to reach our support group directly and they can help you with this).

For the USB 3 driver there are a couple things I'd look at.  Since it is downloading correctly it seems the detection is working how you'd like.  If it won't install that means either Windows doesn't like the driver for that device (ie, it's the wrong driver because it's a slightly different USB controller than you expected) or there is a problem with the driver (ie, there is a file missing or something along those lines).  The easiest way to troubleshoot both scenarios is to go into device manager on an affected machine and try to manually install the driver.  Choose the option to browse on your filesystem and go to C:\Windows\LDDriverStore and make sure it's going to check all subfolders.  It will do 1 of 3 things:

1 - Say it couldn't find a driver.  This indicates it's the wrong driver and you'll need to find the correct driver.

2 - Say it found a driver, but then give an error saying it couldn't install it.  This is likely a missing file.  If this is the case there are some Windows logs you can look into and find out what's really wrong.  I can't remember the process off the top of my head, so we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  As for the LANDesk side this could indicate that a required file is not being downloaded which is either an HIIClient problem or something like an IIS setting that is filtering certain extensions, etc.  This whole scenario would require a bit more digging to find the actual underlying problem.

3 - Say it found a driver and then successfully install it.  This scenario is very unlikely because we do one command that installs all the drivers in the LDDriverStore and the rest seem to work.  It's a standard Microsoft tool that does the actual install for us, and I've never had it selectively fail without good reason.  I really think 1 or 2 is what we'll find.

Let me know what you find out with the HiiClient /preview stuff for the fingerprint scanner and the testing you do for the USB3.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                                  Rookie

Hi Mach6,

Thanks very much for the informative reply!

I managed to fix the issue for the USB3 driver by following torpedor's advice and assigning it to the 'USB Root hub' (thanks).

I am still having a problem with the fingerprint drivers unfortunately. I can see in the HIIClient.log that it recognises that my driver package needs to be downloaded but it fails and nothing installs. I will attach a pictire of the log as I can't figure out how to attach files (by the amount of information you replied with I think you will be a lot more helpful than LANDesk support!)

Thanks,

Peter

HIIClient.png

• 14. Re: WinPE 4.0 and USB 3
                                    Employee

Hi peter.wood,

Looks like the package is attempting to install, but is failing.  One thing that makes provisioning troubleshooting a bit harder is that we have our "handlers" (the guys that do the actual work) depend on other handlers, but then the logging that the other guy does is in his own log.

I know that's confusing, but what I mean is that we call sdclienthandler.exe (the guy that processes SWD Packages for us) and have him do the work to install the package, because he already knows how and that's easier than trying to make HiiClient know how to install packages.  The end result here is that the log that should have information about what happened when we installed the package is in the sdclienthandler.log file.  It would be in the ldprovisioning directory until provisioning cleans up, at which point it should be moved to the Windows\Temp directory.  Does that log give any insight into why the package failed to install?

1 2 Previous Next