8 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2008 9:42 PM by puercomal

Asset tag and Lenovo

Apprentice

I have 3 questions in regards to asset tags:

1) Does anybody have a best practices approach to added asset tags to a PC, possibly in the bios, so that when the PC gets reimaged the asset info does not disappear?   Not looking for registry entries.

2) I saw something called XBIOS in queries, what is that, and how can I use it?

3) Does LANDesk have the ability to write to the bios, DMI or some place on the PC that will not be wiped away on a reimage?

server= LDMS 8.8

Thanks in advance,

Miah

• 1. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
          Employee

I think that Luiz Faro just posted exactly what you're looking for: http://www.droppedpackets.org/inventory-and-slm/set-lenovo-asset-tags

• 2. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
            SupportEmployee

While what puercomal recommends will put the Asset Tag (I assume you are referring to the barcode on an IBM\Lenovo device that consists of 1S + model number + serial number) in the BIOS, however I don't think this will do what you are looking for.  I am assuming you are manually putting information into the database in the Asset Info section of inventory?  If this is what you are trying to preserve this step is not going to help, as LANDesk uses the device id to determine which entry in the database a device is when it sends an inventory scan.  This device id will get reset when the computer is reimaged and so they will look like separate computers inside of LANDesk.  The data will still be there, but it will be associated with the computer whose device id no longer exists.

• 3. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
              Apprentice

This appears to be updating the bios, manually.  I know that I can do that, and add the company specific Asset tag info to the smbios portion of the DMI.

What I am truely after is a way for LANDesk to be able to talk to the bios.  Or another solution that others have used.

Thanks though.

• 4. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
                Apprentice

Agreed.  I know I can manually update the bios and thus the DMI on most of my lenovo desktops.  However, this is a manual process and somewhat tedious.

I am really after something a little more automated that LDMS or LDSS could handle for me.

I know that companies can do this, because we are currently paying CDW to do it for us when we order new PC's, but that doesn't help with the older one.

Thanks,

Miah

• 5. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
                  Employee

What's to stop you from copying the files from that boot image into the OSD boot image, thereby making this a step in your OSD process instead of a one-off manual task?

• 6. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
                    Employee

DaveE wrote:

...LANDesk uses the device id to determine which entry in the database a device is when it sends an inventory scan.  This device id will get reset when the computer is reimaged and so they will look like separate computers inside of LANDesk.  The data will still be there, but it will be associated with the computer whose device id no longer exists.

Really? I don't think that's been the case since 8.5 or 8.6 was released, IIRC... Configure > Services > Device IDs > Restore Old Device IDs, and then the information from the "new" image is just updating the "old" record.

• 7. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
                      Apprentice

Because I currently have 700+ pc's that are already in the field and not slated to be imaged.

• 8. Re: Asset tag and Lenovo
                        Employee

Who says that you have to image it in order to use an OSD task? Read this: http://www.droppedpackets.org/management-gateway-and-remote-control/wipe-a-disk-through-the-gateway/

Inject the tools from the BIOS disk, then build those scripts, then replace the partition wipe command with commands to read the tag you want and write it into the BIOS. There are several great references for how to get information from the core's inventory while you're imaging, see your manuals first, then the community, then droppedpackets (Jan Buelen's HII docs are particularly good, http://www.droppedpackets.org/Members/jbuelens/hii-winpe.zip/view

Test until you're sure it works right, then deploy. Field laptops will need to come into a branch office, Doing it through the gateway as above won't work because you won't be in contact with the core once you've rebooted to DOS (DOS-PE has no gateway support). No VPN either.

This is just the easiest solution, in my opinion, but there's always more than one way to do it.