7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 11:49 PM by rayjen0919

Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu

Brownman17 Rookie

This a NEW Dell Optiplex 7010, right out the box. Just received a shipment of 200 computers, have already imaged 25 of the set with Our Windows 7- Dell 7010 image and then cpu # 26 - 40, will not do anything after you select the deploy option. Tried swapping ram and hard drives. Verified that the configuration for the first batch (cpu #0 - 24) was that same as the second batch (#25-40). Funny thing is that, if I take one of the cpu's from the first batch (#0-24) and try to reimage it using the same 7010 image, EVERYTHING works ok or if I take one of the hard drives from the first batch (that is imaged) and place it in the second batch, it will boot to our startup script. Using LANDesk ver 9.0.3.1.

• 1. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
          Rookie

Ive been seeing similar results with a test image im creating. I have a variety of t4** laptops with a HII image. It will deploy no problem to some, others it does what your desciribing. The best ive been able to do is to create a new OSD using the same info and setup a second item in the PXE menu. This has worked about 60% of the time. Let me know if we can compare anything else to figure this out.

Currently running 9.5 sp1

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
            Rookie

This sounds like there is a setting in the BIOS possibly that is different for some reason on the second set of machines.  Did you check those by any chance, possibly the Sata settings, ATA/AHCI.  We have many a Dell machines and I ahve seen these SATA settings mess with a bunch of things during and after imaging.  I have had a similar issue, but when my scripts do nothing after clicking on deploy, I can recreate the script like sparsons mentioned and it works fine.  However, in my case, when this occurs, it appears to be the script, not certain pcs. 

• 3. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
              Rookie

I doubt this is the issue as im also trying to deploy to a few VM's i setup on Hyper v with similar results. This is infuriating, For 2 days it worked fine, Today the same image doesnt do anything, wont even generate logs. This is a very broken system   

• 4. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
                Brownman17 Rookie

Both of the answers seem on the right track, but I placed the working and non-working pc's side by side and compared the BIOS and couldn't find any difference and even tried a new script, starting with a capture script with the same results. Only difference with the new script is that the script hung up in the same spot. Nothing after clicking the capture (or deploy). Also we had a Dell tech come in and repair one of our cpu's (Dell Optiplex 780), they replaced the motherboard and guess what happen, the pc will not deploy an image now. The deploy script works well on other cpus of the same model in our inventory. I believe that my problem is with the Dell motherboards. I can't really base my problem on anything else but that, because that's all the type of cpu's we have. The only thing I think might work is that I will upgrading to 9.5 next month. Hopefully the WIN PE PXE has been redesigned from the outside in. Anyone using 9.5 and having the same issue?

• 5. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
                  Rookie

I am on 9.5 SP1 with the hotfix and i can tell you its only gotten worse. I managed to get a capture/deploy to work today by completely making a new capture and deploy script from scratch using all new locations and un/pw. There is something very not right about the PXE system and Landesk.

• 6. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
                    Rookie

Some new updates from this afternoon.

Ive had some luck if i change the owner from my username to public user for the OSD. Right click, choose info then change.

Each time i make any change to an OSD i have to delete it from PXE menu and then redrag it over and save/update pxe clients, it doesnt seem to dynamically update from the pxe to OSD.

Sometimes i have to wipe the entry from PXE and drag it back from OSD 2 or 3 times before it will deploy/capture

• 7. Re: Win PE PXE  Deploy option not going ahead after selecting Deploy script from PXE Boot menu
                      Apprentice

hi Brownman,

for my opinion, i guess this is caused by the unspecify image in the PXE boot menu.

sometimes I will trigger this problem happen again while I use 2 management consoles from my local PC and Core, to configure and edit the PXE or OSD script.

As we know, after drag the OSD script to the PXE boot menu, we need to click the update button and redeploy the PXE repesentative once.

For my bad habbit, I may sometimes edit PXE menu in my local PC console, sometimes edit in Core console. This may cause your problem occur. I don't know if you're using the console just like me... use one console only to edit all OSD issue. Do you find some OSD script in PXE menu without any name? if yes, your situation is just like me.

Another thing is the deployment image is removed already and have not update the OSD script yet.

please check.

Hope can help you

Ray