3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 8:05 AM by delhuskie

Sending a file to a users PC

Apprentice

As a new user of landesk i am just starting to find my feet with this product .. But already i can see its a winner

Can anybody adivse me if there is a way to just place a file on the users desktop using the software dist. task  ?

Many thanks 

• 1. Re: Sending a file to a users PC
          Apprentice

if its for multiple machines, you could use a bat distribution package

batch file should contain something like this:

xcopy
          yourserver\yourshare\yourfile.txt "c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop'

or if you want it on the users desktop and not the all users:

xcopy
          yourserver\yourshare\yourfile.txt "c:\documents and settings\%username%\desktop'

(make sure the task is run as the current user and not the local system account and the user has read rights on the share)

if its for just 1 machine, you can use the file transfer from remote control...

edit: you could include the file to be copied in the package too. in that case the bat file is just

xcopy yourfile.txt "c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop"

the possibilities are endless

• 2. Re: Sending a file to a users PC
            Employee

Under "Manage Scripts" one of the options is "New File Transfer Script." You can run through the wizard and create a custom script to do the file transfer. You can then schedule this script to run just like a distribution package.

Vince

• 3. Re: Sending a file to a users PC
              Apprentice

Thanks for the answer .. that is a very logical way of doing it sometimes the simpler answers are the best many thanks for the quick response