14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 10:49 AM by Brian.Dailey

Alternate window for Add Assignment

GarethReeves Apprentice

We currently use the Add Assigment action for our Analysts, I have been asked to create another version of the Add Assignment, the only difference being that the Analysts can only assign the Incident to a group and not an individual Analyst. so the ANalyst has two options add assignment and escalation.

On the face of it I need two different windows but not sure if I can assign the same process to each and it seems to create and new action I need to create the entire object so a new object for Escalation that is identical to the Assignment object. (tried to do this I can't replicate the assignment object simply can't locate all the collections)

Is there a way to copy Assignment and rename it Escalation? bit lost there must be a simpler way!!

Any Ideas welcome.

• 1. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

I don't believe you can duplicate the assignment collection.  My suggestion would be to create a new business object on Incident Management called "Escalations" and make that a collection of Incident (drag Incident onto Escalations and say Yes to the question).  Create a new window for escalations and an action, then when you add it to the process, place an auto assignment after that action (the blue arrow) and just use value types from the "Escalation" collection window.

Hope this helps,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
            GarethReeves Apprentice

Jamie, thanks I will give that a go seems much easier I was over complicating it as usual!

• 3. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
              GarethReeves Apprentice

Just ran through the setup hit an issue, when editing the process and adding the Assignment after the newly created Escalation I tem. I can not get the assignment to save any changes. For example the group drop down I am trying to change to the placeholder reference _EscalateIncidentCol/_Group and click save the field reverts back to blank.

I had this isse before with the assignment window when trying to specify the current user that time I ended up copying an existing assignment but can;t do that for this. Any idea why I can't modify the assignment once added to the process?

• 4. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment

So it lets you put the check box into the Group value type but when click OK on the screen it goes back to an empty field?  When you made the relationship from group to escalateincident, did you use Group or Support Group? 

It might be worth checking to see if any filters are applied to that Group attribute within the EscalateIncident object.

• 5. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                  GarethReeves Apprentice

Might be user error on my part there is a delay in the rdp session, I think I am ticking and unticking the box at the same time. Managed to get it to apear and save this time.

• 6. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                    ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Gareth,

I don't know that I'd go about creating another Assignment (Escalation) object... What I would recommend doing is:

1. Create another Assignment window that includes ONLY the Group drop-down and not the one for selecting a User.
                    2. Limit your analysts to seeing this new window using View rules.

Analysts would still see the same action as everyone else ("Add Assignment" or whatever you're calling it), but the window would limit them to only being able to assign to Groups and not individuals.

If you need help with using Views,   throw up a hand.

-Brian

• 7. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                      GarethReeves Apprentice

I tried using views but it seem to be one view replaces the other, I need the anlayst to see both views. I will upload some screenshots shortly of what I have setup so far the process seems to be setup right but the group does'nt change after using the new Escalation window.

• 8. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                        GarethReeves Apprentice

Having issues getting the group to change after using the Escalate Incident option, the group in add assignment is set to;

Group/_EscalateIncidentCol/_Group. I am either using the wrong group or have missed somthing in the object setup.

1.png2.png

• 9. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                          Stu McNeill Employee

Gareth,

First check the name of the attribute that is on your Escalate Incident action window.  Is this named "_Group"?  If so, then one issue could arise if you don't have a DateTime attribute with the  CreateDate persistence type on the Escalate Incident object.  Without this the runtime value will always pick the first Escalate Incident record on that incident rather than the latest.

• 10. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                            ITSMMVPGroup

Gareth,

If you're referencing something from within the Assignment (i.e., you're on an Assignment Window), I think it should look something more like:

Incident/_EscalateIncidentCol/_Group

This is assuming that you have the EscalateIncident Collection existing on the Incident...  from Assignment you have to back-reference the collection through its Incident.

It might help to see some screenshots from Object Designer on how your objects are laid out...  Also follow-up on what Stu mentioned re:having a CreationDate attribute, otherwise you end up pulling some random values if there is more than one object in the collection.

-Brian

• 11. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                              GarethReeves Apprentice

Screenshots below show the Escalate Incident and the Incident objects. I am missing the date is this an attribute I add or is this dragged from another object? Also is Incident/_EscalateIncidentCol/_Group correct based on what I have setup?

Thanks

object.pngobject2.png

• 12. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment

So for a date right click and create a new attribute but give it a Date/Time type instead of the default String.  When you select that you'll get another box pop up to ask if you want to create a "CreateDateTime" or and "UpdateDateTime".  I would at least create a CreateDateTime.

Also, your collection set up looks correct as well.

• 13. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                                  ITSMMVPGroup

I believe your new DateTime attribute MUST have a persistence of CreateDateTime if you want it to be used when selecting the Latest() object in the collection.

• 14. Re: Alternate window for Add Assignment
                                    ITSMMVPGroup

Gareth,

To help ensure you have the correct reference to the desired attribute

1. On the window for your automatic action, select to add a calculation to any field.
                                    2. In the calculation, browse to the attribute and add it from the object tree on the left.
                                    3. A correct reference should be automatically added into your calc, just copy this down.

You don't need to save the window/process with calc.

-Brian