We do this also thru SNMP.. You have to set up the SNMP information on the switches. You'll need to set up the snmp-server community password on the switches and then you can use discovery services and this password to pull in the switches. You can also pull in the router information this way.
We have that setup and i got the login from our network team but still nothing comes back
Have they authorized the subnet that your server is on? You can also try downloading a SNMP sniffer and see if that can talk to them. Sunbelt has one called IP Scanner and I believe theres also a SNMP Walker. I'm sure a google search will give you a few options. Just make sure you can connect to the switches from the subnet your server is on.
Made sure i can reach the siwtches from my core server and network admin says we are not blobking anything from that subnet. We are only using level two snmp, so it if fairly simple setup currently. Confirmed i have the correct login but still nothing is showing up in asset control
1 of 1 people found this helpful
What I recommend is to run a config against just one of the addresses of one of the switches. The discovery service will behind a log file in the managementsuite\mp_log directory that will have the name ManagedPlanet.DiscoveryServices.Collect.exe.<ip>.log. You can look in this to see what messages show up. If it can connect it will you give a number of messages. If there is an error you will hopefully get a useful message. If it can gather information it will tell you how much. You should then see a file show up in the managementsuite\discserv directory. It will then process to the discserv\processed directory. If there is a file but it does not show up in asset control, check the mp_log\ManagedPlanet.DiscoveryServices.Core.exe.<date>.log file. There should hopefully be a useful message as to why it did not get into the database, such as out of licenses.
this is what i get back from one of teh switch scans. The ip address shows correctly but i have removed from post
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:47:58 AM: Arguments = /CFG=13 /ADDRSTR=***.***.***.***/LINK=Device.Network.TCPIP.Address /RET=C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\MP_Log\f4a91731-a993-4f20-8eec-b875146fea30.log
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:47:59 AM: DiscoverBase.ConnectToService: Connected to http://ausld9/DiscoveryServices/DSReceive.asmx
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:47:59 AM: SNMPDiscover2.GetInformation2: Starting address ***.***.***.***
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:47:59 AM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Starting address ***.***.***.***
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:47:59 AM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Could ping IP address.
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:47:59 AM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Gettings selected groups. Count = 1
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:48:02 AM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Completed scan
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:48:02 AM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Finished address ***.***.***.***
INFORMATION 9/27/2013 9:48:02 AM: SNMPDiscover2.GetInformation2: Finished address ***.***.***.***
after doing that and seeing that the IP address was being contacted support suggested running a SNMP sniffer to test the connection. It ended up being a capital letter in the community setup that was suppose to be lower case