7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:40 AM by smiddleton

Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual

Apprentice

We currentlyuse the Add Reminder option in the porcess to send emails to the Asignee and originator of an Incident. We now need to be able to send mail base on the assigned group rather than assigned analyst.

I have looked how the Reminders are setup in object designed, I can't work out how this works. So how does the system get the assigned analyst to use it as a recipient. Currently reminders only work when the assigned analyst is populated so need it to send mail when only the group is assigned and to send to all Analysts in that group.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
          Expert

When you double click on the control you fill in jut the Group box, leave the Analyst control blank.  Then right click on assign group, select Value Type, Specify a runtime value for control, and then select "Assigned Group".  Now the reminder will go to everyone in the group.

• 2. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
            Apprentice

I have a value type set in the group dropdown, which is correctly identifying the group and updating Incident. this is a custom made action called escalation. The add reminder foloows emmediatley afterwards and is set to notify the assignee. but no notification is recieved.

I assumed this was not working because "notify assignee" is looking for a user account and not a group. Still stuck on this I am afraid.

• 3. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
              Expert

I was looking at an assignment not an Add Reminder.  Below are pics of a reminder that sends out a Sev 2 e-mail that it has been taken by an analyst.  It goes out to the whole group.  The 2010.1.10 is a number I use to identify my e-mail.  Without being numbered I found it very hard to identify which control was sending which e-mail.

add reminder 1.jpg

Add Reminder 2.jpg

• 4. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
                John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Gareth,

The boolean in notify assignee means it will notify anything specified in the Group, User or Role attributes.  What I would is check that users that are members of groups have a specific value set within their group.  To do this go into Administration>User Management.  Expand Groups and expand Support Groups.  Expand the users folder in that group.

Click on a user in the tree and select the action Modify User Group.  Tick the boolean that is labeled receive group messages if it is not selected.  The reminder will notify all users of that group which has the Receive Group Messages option selected.

Hope this helps

John

• 5. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
                  Apprentice

what JStuart said is key, this has been discussed many times.  The notify assignee checkbox doesn't mean who the incident is assigned to, it means who the reminder is assigned to, which is whoever you put in the user/role/group dropdowns.  I actually moved the "notify assignee" booleen to a groupbox with the 3 dropdowns, and renamed the checkbox simply to "enable".  see the orange groupbox in the screenshot.  the OOTB reminder window is misleading, at least to me.

I also do what CSimpson said with the ID tags, just something to tell you where a notification comes from is VERY helpful if emails aren't behaving.

as for the assigned to group vs assigned to single analyst, I put a decision in the process that checks to see if the current assigned user is null, if it is null, is sends to the current assigned group.

It's not elegant, but as long as group is a mandatory field on your assignment window, it's rock solid.

check assigned to group.PNG

• 6. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
                    Rookie

I just did something similar to this only using Add Note. We assign the ticket to a group and if they hadn't taken action we wanted to give them a nudge by adding a note, say if the customer called. In order for people to receive group messages I had to remove them from the group and then re-add them. And when I got the pop up box I made sure to check "Receive Group Messages". After that when we added a note it created a reminder and sent to everyone in the group that had the box checked. So this may be the answer you're looking for. Below is the box I was referring to.

User Group.png

• 7. Re: Add reminder to notify a group rather than an individual
                      smiddleton Expert

Theres a very good and detailed explanation of how the notifications work in the system which you can find here http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-19837

There is also a very import key which you might want to consider adding to your config.

<add key=”AssignmentNotificationsToUserOnly” value=”True” />

So as well as setting your analysts to receive group messages if you add the below key it changes the OOTB behaviour slightly.

It essentially does the process decision check Mike suggested of is current assignment user set, and will then automatically send to only the user you fill in. If theres no user but you have got a group it will send to the group.

You could also use a role like Change Managers and it will then always send an email to anyone that is a member of the change managers role and also performs the same check for user and group.