8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 5:20 AM by ambarish_bhamre

Different AV in LANDesk

Rookie

Can i use different AV than LANDesk AV ?  If yes then what I have to do in such case? I already have agent installed in other workstations.

Please guide me for the same........

• 1. Re: Different AV in LANDesk
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can use any AV you want.

The question is what you want LANDesk to do with/about it. Are you talking about hosting patch-content (definitions) for a certain AV software? We already do that - among them Symantec AntiVirus and McAffee to name but two ... so these can be had in patch content.

Rephrase your question to what you're trying to acheive and we may be able to help.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Different AV in LANDesk
            Rookie

Thanks Paul.

I want to install AV server in my core and want my clients to receive updates from the core. In short i want the scenario similar to that where a AV client receives updates from AV server. Also want my client(agent) scanned from my core perodically.

Could you help me out with this.

Let me know the detailed procedure if i am using Symantec AV.What step i have to perform with core & agents.

• 3. Re: Different AV in LANDesk

From a supported point of view - no, absolutely not.

The LANDesk Core should be treated as a dedicated system, and have only to do with LANDesk. The Database may or may not be on the Core, that's fine - but that's about it.

Hosting your company's AV on the Core is NOT recommended. It MAY work, but I've seen enough cases where it goes horribly wrong as well (on account of the software changing something in IIS - and then the odds are that one piece of software will break (or at least hinder) the other, and so on.

So - no - not recommended at all.

If you still want to proceed, I would greatly advise that you make sure you have a full backup of your Core before installing the AV software as well as not being overly surprised if things do start going wrong.

It's a complex software and there's plenty of ways to break it (installation of Sharepoint on a Core for instance is a great way of near-destroying all things that rely on IIS) - which is one of the many reasons why we say it must be a DEDICATED system.

Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Different AV in LANDesk
                Rookie

Dear Paul,

I am doing it just for testing purpose.I have to test things with only one client. I dont have have more than 1 agent in my setup. Can it be ok then?

Kindly guide me with the steps for AV server-client installation.

• 5. Re: Different AV in LANDesk

Urm - surely the AV Server/Client installation depends on the vendor you use - not exactly my place to tell you how to install a 3rd party/competitor product, exactly, is it?

Or are you talking about how to install the LANDesk AV-client on the Core server?

I am under the impression that you are trying to install some 3rd party AV-software's "Core"-equivalent side + Client on the LANDesk Core. That's not really something for us to walk you through ... in terms of cars (for instance) - you don't exactly phone up at a VW garage to ask about problems with your Ford's engine?

A bit of clarification - again - of what exactly you're trying to do would be good.

Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: Different AV in LANDesk
                    Rookie

Hi,

Yes i m going to install a third party AV. I am going to install AV server on LANDesk CORE and AV client on my LANDesk agent machine. As i m testing the different scenarios i will install only 1 agent in my setup. Hope you got the clear picture now. hope  you will be able to help me with this

• 7. Re: Different AV in LANDesk

Ok - so for a lab / test setup this "can work", but this is not really something I can help you with. As I explained above, you're trying to ask for advice on something we do not do. We have our own AV solution, but I'm not sure why you're determined to get advice on installing this AV-solution from us.

Surely the right people to ask would be the actual AV-vendor.

As per my above car-based example - VW can't really help you if you have questions/problems concerning a Ford Engine...

Paul Hoffmann

• 8. Re: Different AV in LANDesk
                        Rookie

Hi,

ok i just wanted to ask you about third party AV, as my mgmt will ask me about this. Can you help me out with LANDesk AV. what are the steps for this which nedds to performed ? how client will get updates and all other tasks what a regular AV does?

Sorry to bother you again & again but i am syuck in middle of it.