2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 7:34 AM by redrider1940

Provisioning Windows 7 via install.wim

Apprentice

I am trying to provision Windows 7 using the install.wim file. The OS displays as Windows 7 Home edition when the task is complete. I am guessing that Microsoft uses the same install.wim for each version but I cannot figure out how to specify the version. I would guess that there is the ability in the unattend file but where and how?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Provisioning Windows 7 via install.wim
          kleong Apprentice

you need to know which index number of the image you want in the wim as the wim image may contain more than a single version of windows in it. Microsoft has provided the WAIK \ WADK so you can use the DISM or ImageX utilities to find the info you need.

eg: index 1 could be home edition, on index 2, it could be the pro edition (this is assuming the wim you are using contains the multi-version edition)

DISM / ImageX Command to get information of your WIM file;

dism.exe /get-imageinfo /imagefile:install.wim

imagex.exe /info install.wim

example output from DISM:

Index : 1 (this is the number you would want to look out for)

Name : Windows 7 Home

Description : some sort of description

Size : ###3,521,205,828 bytes

ImageX outputs it in an XML format, you should be able to quickly work out which index number corresponds to which Windows edition.

DISM / ImageX command to apply your WIM with the right index number which corresponds to the version of windows you want;

dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:install.wim /Index:<index number of the image> /ApplyDir:<driveletter:>

imagex.exe /apply install.wim <index number> <your destination drive/path>

• 2. Re: Provisioning Windows 7 via install.wim
            Apprentice

Brilliant. I didn’t even think about the install.wim file having multiple indexes. Thanks!