Rookie

Hi,

I was wondering how i can remotely uninstall some software on users

machine's?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Remote software uninstall
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... by running a batch file.

... by running the package with an uninstall option.

... by remote script (not so good).

... whole slew of other ways.

There's a myriad of possibilities to do it - and the answer will always vary based on WHAT you're trying to uninstall exactly (is it an MSI? Is it a horrible legacy app? bit more information will help :).

For the most part though, you need to research the app itself. LANDesk tends to offer you a plethora of abilities to get the same thing done, and the reason why you may need different routes to get something done is such as this example.

Most importantly, you need to know the app you're trying to get shot of, really. The rest is easy :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Remote software uninstall
            Henk Hillaert Employee

Hi,

Yes you can!

How? This depends on how the software got there in the first place. Let me explain.

You can deinstall software that wasn't deployed (installed) using LANdesk.

So if the software was installed with an msi you can create a software package of the type MSI and select uninstall. The MSI needs to be on the Core server.

If the software was installed running a Setup.exe you have to find out if it is possible to create a deinstallation package of the type EXE.

When you used LANDesk to create the Software package you can copy it and modify the specifiec details. This save you some time!

Hope this helps

Henk

• 3. Re: Remote software uninstall
              Rookie

I have an .msi that I can't remove using an uninstall package.

I've tried installing the software via an .msi push and loading it manually on a test PC.

Regardless of load method, when I run the uninstall package it comes back with the error "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed".  Is this telling me the software is not installed?

• 4. Re: Remote software uninstall
                Rookie

Does the uninstall work through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?

• 5. Re: Remote software uninstall
                  Rookie

Yes, it does.

• 6. Re: Remote software uninstall
                    Rookie

Go to this key in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"PRODUCTNAME OR GUID"\UninstallString

If it is an msi installation the key should look something like

MsiExec.exe /I{6E740973-8E71-42F9-A910-C18452E60450}

to get it to uninstall change the /I to /X.  if you want it to be hidden ad the /qn to the end

ex. MsiExec.exe /X{6E740973-8E71-42F9-A910-C18452E60450} /qn

Create a batch file using that command.

• 7. Re: Remote software uninstall
                      Rookie

Yes, the uninstall string and modify path string are present in the registry key already.    I will try the batch uninstall and see what happens.

• 8. Re: Remote software uninstall
                        ahe Expert

Hello,

you can find some other hints here: appdeploy.com - Package Knowledge Base

It would be helpful if we know the software name (version) ... 

Regards
                        Axel

• 9. Re: Remote software uninstall
                          Rookie

The software is an in-house program written by our developers and deployed as an msi package.  I will try the batch uninstall today if I get the chance to work on it.