6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 1:08 AM by dmshimself

process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process

GarethReeves Apprentice

We have an Incident process that we have been using for some time, we have developed a new process that incorporates the self service system so has new status' and actions.

I am conerned if I transfer the new process from test to live overwritting the current version, that existing Incidents that are open will have issues with the new process. I had this in testing ( I believe) where the new action to enable Analysts to process the Incident didn't appear as the Incident was created under an older version of the process.

Should I create the new process with a different name in Live, will this allow both processes to run side by side? so new Incidents use the new process from an updated shortcut. Not sure if the existing incidents will continue using the original process.

I can't actually identify the reason why some existing Incidents did not process, so it may be me being paranoid.

The new process as is works fine just not sure what impact it will have on any given existing incident.

Any ideas how best to deal with this?

Thanks, Gareth

• 1. Re: process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process
          John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Gareth,

How do you intend to transfer over the processes from test to live?  If you use the test to live utility and you have updated your existing process in the test system, when you migrate those changes, they will get incorporated in to your existing incident process in the live system.

If you are using design transfer then yes you are correct existing incidents will not pick up those changes and only incidents launched with that process will have the new functionality.

You cannot update existing incidents to point to a newer version of a process.  So I would recommend either using test to live so that your existing process and incidents will receive the new process actions.  In the event you cannot use test to live, update your new incident shortcut to point to your new process with the different name.  There may be an issue if you have created a new incident window to go with the new incident process, you would need to create view rules for the existing process and the new process.

I hope that helps.

John

• 2. Re: process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process
            GarethReeves Apprentice

Only knew about design transfer what is test to live and what is the difference?

I sounds like I need to publish a shorcut to the those Analysts on sites that will use the sefl service portal and add the new process not overwrite. So I can have some using the current process and some using the new process. As you say shortcuts and views will neeed updating.

Would like more info on test to live though.

Gareth

• 3. Re: process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process
              John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Gareth,

Test to live is a comparision tool, it will check your test and live databases.  Any design changes that are not in the live system will be migrated over to the live system.  There are some caveats, before any design work is made the databases must be identical and no design changes can take place on the live system whilst design work is being completed otherwise there would be issues transferring the changes.

Design transfer is quite a manual process as you may be aware in that you export and reimport your design changes.

Test to live is not currently available to sdaas customers.

I hope that helps

John

• 4. Re: process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process
                dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Be very careful with t2l and really make sure you have done a full rehersal and UAT before pressing the button.  Unless you have extreemely good change control over BAU work in production, I would personally recommend sticking to Design Transfer as then you know what is being changed.

One thing you could consider using DT is to create a new process for your incident and then put in some reinitilaise actions in the old process during go live.  Then an administrator can 'jump' the active old incidents to the new process so people can use the new design.

• 5. Re: process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process
                  GarethReeves Apprentice

Can you clairfy what a reinitialise action is please and how they are setup?

I have both processes running side by side now and have only certain sites using the new process works well but the test will be when I switch a site that is using the existing process to the new one. I am running some test so far I can;t reproduce the issue I had in test with Incidents logged under the old process so fingures crossed should not have an issue.

• 6. Re: process design changes could lead to existing incidents unable to process
                    dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

You can add the action called reinitilaise in process designer to one/all of the status in your process A.  If you use that action you'll be asked to select an active process (B) and/or a template.  If you do that and the two processes A and B have statuses that match, then process A will magically be jumped across that process B.  An entry is made in the audit trail and from that point it's just like process A was created as process B.

For more info, hit the manuals!