1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 8:29 AM by MarXtar

Inventory missing some items

MrGadget Expert

LD 9.5 no SP1

As I look through my Console I keep seeing computers (small percentage) that have certain things missing for instance the model number, or windows version, provisioned column blank, etc and everything else is there.

When I look in inventory these items are missing from there.

1. In troubleshooting I deleted the test computer from the console then ran a full inventory scan, didn't help

2. went into \program files\landesk\ldclient\data and deleted the LDAPPL3.ini file and ran a full inventory scan, didn't help.

3. Did a remoteregistry and deleted the Landesk unique ID in both places, then ran a full scan, didn't help

Also all these computers have the same os (win 7 32bit), same model, as computers that are fine.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Inventory missing some items
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

On the client, go into ldclient\data and show hidden files. Look at the invdelta.dat file in notepad. This is what the client believes it is sending to the core server. It is basically a text version of the inventory window and it should be easy enough to search and find if the data you need is contained in there.

If not, then the issue is the scanner cannot find that data so there may be an issue with something such as WMI being corrupted.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Expert Solution Provider

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - New Stand-Alone State Notifier Console for Service Desk Operators

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

• 2. Re: Inventory missing some items
            MrGadget Expert

I don't find a invdelta.dat anywhere on the client nor on my own computer. I think it might be due to having Delta scans turned off.

I tryed deleteing ,ldappl3.base, ldappl3.baz, ldappl3.pat, ldappl3.paz, and ldappl3.ini but that didn't work either.

• 3. Re: Inventory missing some items
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Launch the ldiscn32.exe with the switch /O= and then you can tell it to output to a filename and see if it is picking up the data. I think it most probably isn't so either there is a corruption within the agent (have you reinstalled? You don't mention) or the place it is trying to get this information from is broken or missing the data too.

Mark McGinn

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Inventory missing some items
                jwood8 Apprentice

Sorry to threadjack, but I'm having a similar issue! 9.5 SP1 here.

Specifically what I was trying to do was run a query to see if the AV was running or not on certain machines. I created it but didn't see the results I expected. I could see the AV running on the box but the query said not. When I dug into why, it's because in the Inventory there is no 'Services' section under 'OS' -> 'Drivers and Services' - the only section in there is 'Codecs'.

I ran the ldiscn32.exe /o=c:\test.txt as you suggested, the entries ARE present in that file.

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Kaspersky Endpoint Security Service) - Status =Running

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Kaspersky Endpoint Security Service) - Short Name =AVP

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Kaspersky Endpoint Security Service) - Start Type =Auto

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Kaspersky Endpoint Security Service) - Path ="C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\antivirus\kav10\avp.exe" -r

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Kaspersky Endpoint Security Service) - Start Name =LocalSystem

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Kaspersky Endpoint Security Service) - Description =Provides computer protection against viruses, other malicious programs, and network attacks.

Any idea what to try next?

[EDIT - I should say that this is happening on several machines with different operating systems, but not on all - most are reporting fine, can't see a pattern for the failures]

• 5. Re: Inventory missing some items
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Have you tried forcing the sync scan on those devices. Since it is there it should be sent unless for some reason the core never received it.

Mark McGinn

• 6. Re: Inventory missing some items
                    jwood8 Apprentice

I think so - I tried running LDISCN32.exe /SYNC but that just pops up a box with the usage flags (including one for /SYNC ) - similarly, I tried LDISCN32.exe /S CORENAME /SYNC and I got 'Command line syntax error', tried /S=CORENAME but same - guess I'm doing something wrong? But as I said earlier LDISCN32.exe /O=c:\test.txt worked fine.

Hmm, just tried LDISCN32.exe /L /SYNC and that seems to be doing something...

• 7. Re: Inventory missing some items
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

That last one should do the trick, it scans using the stored details on the client. You can also do this via the right-click of the device in the console (which is what I meant but didn't actually say )

Mark McGinn

• 8. Re: Inventory missing some items
                        MrGadget Expert

MarXtar

I can't remote in to any of the computers till the end of the day however I made a software package to run it. On the computers that are on line I ran it and it failed with a Failed To Dowload Additional Files. There are not additional files!

I checked the task log (through C$) and it showed 2 attempts at something, on the second attempt it added a /additional files switch.

This is consistent on all clients that failed.

I tested the software package on other good computers and it did not fail. Also on the failed computers it did download my package just failed to run it.

I'm thinking now my agent install is bad so when I can remote in I will try running the scan to a txt file and if that doesn't show anything I will reinstall the agent and report results here.

• 9. Re: Inventory missing some items
                          MrGadget Expert

MarXtar

I remoted in and ran the ldiscn32 /o=c:\scantxt.txt

The scantxt file did not contain the inventory info I'm missing.

I completely removed landesk in registry and remnants in folders. Reinstalled and got runtime error of termination of amtscanner.

This message seems to be consistant on computers missing items in inventory.

Found this discussion http://community.landesk.com/support/message/91364#91364 but they had no fix except Landesk tech support said to remane amtscanner.exe.

I've reinstalled the microsoft visual 2008 C++ redistributable, ran a utility that is supposed to re-register dll files, ran a windows updates, nothing helps.

I.m going to rename the amtscanner.exe file but I can't see that fixing it.

• 10. Re: Inventory missing some items
                            jwood8 Apprentice

No luck for me either I'm afraid, either running the command I gave or by running a sync scan from the console - the incomplete inventory remains.

• 11. Re: Inventory missing some items
                              MrGadget Expert

Renaming the amtscanner.exe only stops the runtime error message from poping up.

In my research I found the runtime error could be caused by WMI. I ran Microsoft utility and WMI was showing as being messed up.

I deleted the repository in windows\system32\wbem and rebooted which after running the utility again it showed good but being able to connect to the root was showing a error. Also ole32.dll and oleut32.dll showed errors. I regegistered them and didn't make a difference.

I ran SFC /scannow but it didn't show any errors.

I may have to give up and just reimage these computers.

• 12. Re: Inventory missing some items
                                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

MrGadget,

If WMI is not providing then LANDesk will be stuck so it might be an idea to rebuild as the WMI fix is what I would have suggested. Is there an common image for affected systems or are they the same as other working systems?

Mark McGinn

• 13. Re: Inventory missing some items
                                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

jwood8

If the data is in the output file then it should be processed into the database unless somehow it is getting rejected.

Check your errorscan directories on the core. Are you seeing scan files from that client getting placed in there?

Check the Unknown items in the inventory service settings, are they somehow being blocked there?

Check the inventory attributes and see if someone has decided to block that data from being processed.

Mark McGinn

• 14. Re: Inventory missing some items
                                    jwood8 Apprentice

Thanks for the help MarXtar - yes, the files are showing in ErrorScan from the affected stations. They're not being blocked in Inventory, and I am the only person with access to this (it's a recently built core on 9.5 SP1 so no legacy issues).

It's odd because it processes SOME of the data, just not the full file. I guess there must be a bug, I logged with support last week but they haven't responded to my request yet.

1 2 Previous Next