8 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2008 2:37 AM by ahe

Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8

Apprentice

Hi All

I know this has been discussed in various posts but I cannot find an answer to my problem.

Is there any way to run a Software Distribution task with an OS deployment using OSD in LDMS 8.8?. This was possible in 8.7 using amclient.exe (Appendix D of the document "Best Known Method for OS Deployment of WinXP Using WinPE LD87") but as far as I know amclient is not available in 8.8.

I know this can be done using Provisioning but I am wondering if anyone knows how to do it using OSD.

Cam

• 1. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

AMClient.exe did go away, but it was replaced with policy.sync.exe. We didn't really lose any functionality.

You should be able to run policy.sync.exe with no parameters and get the same functionality.

• 2. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
            Apprentice

Thanks Jared

If you have an example of a script that would work (or something to get me started) could you please post it here.

Cam

• 3. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
              Rookie

I'm currently using OSD to deploy my O/S and then follow it up with all of our 'standard load' software (About 13 or 14 pieces of software to include Office/Outlook and other pretty large apps. Is this what you are attempting to do, or is it more complicated than that?  If this is what you are looking for, I can show you what I came up with...probably not too elegant, but it is functional and we've been using it for about a year now.

• 4. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
                Apprentice

Hi ejz

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking to do. However I don't want to install all of the software tasks I have created in LDMS, I want to be selective.

I am interested in seeing what you came up with.

Are you using LDMS 8.8? If you have been doing this for about a year now, I suspect it is on an earlier version.

Cam

• 5. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
                  Rookie

We start with a sysprep image (WinXP), including the Landesk agent in the image.  Once that is laid down, we call sdclient in the OSD script to put the software we choose to install...Here's a sample of the script we call, after the machine is finished imaging using OSD:

;***************************************************************************************************************************

;*************************THIS AREA FOR STANDARD  APPLICATION INSTALLS*************************************************

LOCEXEC100=D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\LANDesk\files\LDSleep.exe 660

REMPING101=WIN, TIMEOUT=1800

;***************************Install Office 2003 standard and copy necessary files******************************************

REMEXEC102=C:\Progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\office_2003\install.bat" /exe

REMEXEC103=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\Packages\LANDesk\Office_2003\Amipro.bat" /exe

REMEXEC104=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\Packages\LANDesk\Office_2003\Averywiz.exe" /exe

REMEXEC105=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\office_2003\lglcutins.exe" /exe

REMEXEC106=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\Office_2003\2k7convert.bat" /exe

REMEXEC107=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\outlook_2007\outlook.bat" /exe

REMEXEC108=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\CiscoUnity\ViewMail\install.bat" /exe

REMEXEC109=C:\Progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\LANDesk\LiveMeeting\LMConsole_en_us.msi" /msi

REMEXEC110=C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\Adoberdr801\rdr801.exe" /exe

REMEXEC111=c:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\sdclient.exe -p="
                  %servername%\software\packages\landesk\mach1\mach1.exe" /exe

Just replace the %servername% with the share\path you have your packages stored on....

Seems to work for us..we started on 8.5 and are now on 8.8.  Beauty of this is if something changes, or upgrades, you REM out the statement, or add another line, and you've modified your OSD images..

Good luck...Let me know if this helps...

EJZ

• 6. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
                    Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I haven't tested in 8.8.

Should be simply a replacement of amclient.exe with policy.sync.exe and remove the amclient.exe switches as policy.sync.exe runs without switches.

• 7. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
                      Apprentice

Hello ejz,

Nice script...

Is there anyway to define different installs for different departments?

Accounting needs Software A,B,C, F

IT needs  A,B, D, E

etc...

Anyway of doing if commands? SOmething like if %computername:0,2%  == "IT" then install A, B, D, E?

Or could this be setup in Patchmanager as custom jobs?

Very interested.

-Miah

• 8. Re: Install Software after deploying image using OSD in LDMS 8.8
                        ahe Expert

Hello,

you can start all installations from one batch script... (s. not tested example below)

• In LANDesk create a Distribution Package which starts a installation script "Install_apps.bat"

• Check if the installation share is a null session share

Install_apps.bat (not tested, only a very simple example)

@echo off
                        rem set servername full qualified!
                        set "servername=your_server_name "

"\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\install_apps.bat"

rem sometimes it is better to include a waiting loop of 30 seconds (more or less), with the command "sleep.exe 30" (if exist) or "ping -n 30 localhost"
                        sleep.exe 30

"\\%servername%\software\Packages\LANDesk\Office_2003\Amipro.bat"
                        sleep.exe 30

"\\%servername%\software\Packages\LANDesk\Office_2003\Averywiz.exe"
                        "\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\office_2003\lglcutins.exe"
                        "\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\Office_2003\2k7convert.bat"
                        "\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\outlook_2007\outlook.bat"
                        "\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\CiscoUnity\ViewMail\install.bat"
                        "\\%servername%\software\packages\LANDesk\LiveMeeting\LMConsole_en_us.msi"
                        sleep.exe 30

"\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\Adoberdr801\rdr801.exe"
                        "\\%servername%\software\packages\landesk\mach1\mach1.exe"

Regards

Axel