6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 2:38 PM by mghilardi

PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s

mghilardi Rookie

I currently have a PXE environment with LD9.5 SP1 and am unable to boot one of my Models of machine to the WinPE environment.

I have several other machines that are booting with no issue at all. HP 8530, 8540, 8560, 8570, 6000, VMWare Virtual Platforms so I'm fairly certain it's not my PXE machine itself, or lack of connectivity to it, or the boot.wim file.

Machine that does not work (Lenovo T440s)

I have disabled the following in the BIOS for the new machine:

Secure Boot

UEFI Boot (Enabled Legacy)

Execution Prevention

CSM Support (Enabled since UEFI is disabled)

What occurs is a little different from what other have already reported which is why I'm putting in the question.

Here is what happens.

F12 to enter Boot options

Select the NIC

NIC broadcasts MAC

Receives DHCP and sees PXE boot Representative

PXE boot options appear with correct modified timeout (so I know it's receiving information from the PXE rep)

I choose WinPE Menu (or Managed WinPE)

The Boot Server IP is shown (correctly)

The MTFTP flashes for a moment and disappears. 

The unit shows a blinking curser directly under the Boot Server IP: xx.xx.xx.xx Line

Unit hangs indefinitely and does not progress beyond this point.

Any assistance or ideas beyond this would be extremely helpful as I have been searching for a solution all day with very little to show for it.

• 1. Re: PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s

Try restarting the landesk mtftp and pxe services on your PXE reps. If that does not work remove and redeploy the pxe rep.

• 2. Re: PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s
            mghilardi Rookie

I have tried both of those actions already. 

I restarted the Reps, undeployed and redeployed about 5 times.  The mtftp service is functional as all other devices will get the image without an issue. 

Additional Information: 

The machine I'm using has an SSD with no apparent settings to change the mode (IDE, AHCI, etc).  Perhaps it's not getting the image because it can't write to the drive?

• 3. Re: PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s

I have the same exact problem with a T430, model number 2344. Mine PXE booted and grabbed an image the very first time, I then checked on the drivers and have to install a bunch of drivers to make the image complete. I then grabbed the drivers using Driver magician so I could add them to my Hardware Independant imaging, now eveytime I try to PXE boot this machine, I get the same problem where it goes through and has the blinking cursor under Boot Server IP and the IP address. I too have redone my PXE reps. I can take a Dell E6400, PXE boot it and lay an image just fine, so that is not the problem.

• 4. Re: PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s

I had this same problem with our newest batch of T430's.  It's bug in that machine's BIOS.  We updated to Bios Rev 2.59 (dated 11/21/13).  Fixed the problem.

• 5. Re: PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s

Well my cure for the T430 Series seams to be another BIOS Update to 2.59 that came out. Now I am PXE booting like the rest of my machines. Now I get to fight with Hardware Independant Imaging to get my drivers to load..hopefully

Thanks to tdocekal!!!!!!

• 6. Re: PXE Boot 9.5 for Lenovo T440s
                    mghilardi Rookie

LANDesk support informed me that the following applies.

PXE Boot menu differences:

PXE Menu = mtftp transfer

Privisioning = tftp transfer

The issue for me is that the mtftp does not work for the Lenovos.  The tftp appears to function without an issue. I have modified the boot.wim file on my reps to load PXE Menu either way so I have a work around for the time being.  It does indeed sound like it's an issue with the BIOS on the units and their incompatibility with the mtftp transfer of the files.

This link has some addtional information as well.