1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2008 3:23 AM by TheBull

Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP

Rookie

3 of our staff in our IT division have complained to me that their systems are taking ages to log on and are unresposive. When I looked closer the softmon.exe is running at 100%. This has only started since we upgraded our systems to 8.8. All 3 are on XP SP2 (I noticed the discussion on win9x systems having this problem).

I have tried uninstalling the client and reinstalling it. The only way so far that I've been able to get round the problem is by actually deleting the softmon.exe from the C: drive completely.

Has anyone come across this?

• 1. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
          Rookie

We have the same problem with LDMS 8.7 SP5

• 2. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

SOFTMON is a service - you don't need to delete the exe, you can just disable the service.

We're not aware of any such issue ourselves (and last I saw anything like this was years ago ... 8.1 time-frame or something like that - ancient history in any event).

We'd probably need to have an image of an affected workstation from you in order to troubleshoot this - very unique at any rate.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
              Apprentice

do you perchance have a security scan set to run at logon and spyware scanning enabled? I had a similar problem last week and this is what support pointed at, since changing it I haven't had any further complaints

• 4. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
                Rookie

We are running LDMS 8.7 SP5 (No mini rollups) and are experience the very same issue.  XP SP2 boxes.  Deployed the LDMS 8.7 SP5 agent about 2 months ago, been fine until the last couple days.  No patches or hotfixes deployed in that time.  No major changes.  I have opened a ticket with LD on this.  I'll post something if we get a solution.  We're going to do an emergency reboot of the core server to see if that helps.  Some users are taking 20 minutes to logon.  Workaround is disable the softmon service on those local machines, but if you have agent watcher enabled, that should kick that back on, so it's only temporary, and obviously not a solution, but a temp fix.

• 5. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
                  Rookie

We've spent all afternoon investigating this one on LanDesk 8.7 SP5, on both Windows XP and 2000 workstations.

Sysinternals' Process Monitor shows softmon.exe at 100% for several minutes during boot on affected boxes.

Disabling softmon cures it.

The affected boxes we've looked at today (four out of a larger bunch) work properly after an uninstall and reinstall of the LanDesk Client.

We're still looking at this.

Phil

• 6. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP

IMPORTANT Update on this issue.

It very much seems to be an issue, we've had a few reports of it, we've just not been able to duplicate it ourselves.

Could ALL affected please log cases with support, so that we can track you (and send you any relevant information / patch / whatever) as we unearth things.

Also, if anyone could provide us with an image which duplicates the problem, that would be great. We've not had any luck so far in our own duplications, and have not got a lot of information to go on so far to try and find the cause(s) involved.

From what we see, the issue SEEMS to be occuring in 8.7 SP5 as well as 8.8 - but I would be cautious to call it "the same issue" at this point, since we simply have too little information to go on. Similar symptoms have been reported to us, so it is a possibility, but not necessarily so.

The more information / images we can get on this to compare and root-cause, the faster we'll be able to identify what's going on here / under what conditions the issue arises.

Many thanks.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 7. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
                      Apprentice

Paul, we were severly effected by this yesterday. I'm running an 8.8 core with primarily 8.7sp2 clients(13,000+). Softmon version on the clients is 8.70.6.6. Problems were all related to slow boot up/login, unable to see the Novell tree and general slowness of the pc. After looking at NDS for awhile and finding nothing out of the ordinary, it was determined that removing the LANDesk client solved the problem. We also found that installing the 8.8 client or reinstalling the 8.7sp2 client seemed to 'fix' it as well. Reviewing this forum and working with our TAM, we identifed Softmon as the culprit. Machines with the softmon service disabled seemed to perform normally.

As a side note, I noticed that we had a large number of Spyware definitions download on Thur a.m. and spyware scanning was part of our default scan and repair setting.  I moved all the new content to 'do not scan'  and removed spyware scanning from our scan and repair setting. Perhaps there was/is bad content? Anyway, last night I also built and distributed a package to stop the Software Monitoring service on all (13,000+) pc's and rename softmon.exe so it would not restart when the pc rebooted. As stated previously in this thread, I believe with the service disabled, agent watcher would restart softmon, so we decided to rename the file.

Hope this info is helpful. We will see what today brings!

• 8. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP

Thanks for the info so far.

Bit of brainstorming ideas/questions for those affected.

- Do you use/have XP SP3 in the field?

We've not bumped into any problems ourselves, but we're wondering if XP SP3 and/or a post XP SP3 fix is somehow relevant here, since this is the only recent "large" change we can think of that might affect 8.8 and 8.7 (and various levels of SP at that). So I don't think it's something "traditionally architectural", or this would be far more confined version wise.

It seems to be a bigger, common factor - hence XP SP3 being a blind stab since that's a recent change. If this can be proven to be or discounted as a factor, that'd be great.

- Do you have spyware / Security Suite?

Tomob does have it, and there is the possibility that there's something in patch content. I'll not say it's likely, but it's possible and we're trying to chase after every possible factor at the moment

We use SOFTMON to monitor for spyware, so that might be the link in this regard... tenuous, but it would be a link.

- Any indications of what's going on in the SOFTMON log (look in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\vulScan\SOFTMON.LOG" ... it's not necessarily likely that there's something to be had there, but you never know. Similarly (pursuing the "it might be security suite related" route) - anything in vulscan logs? Any communication to the Core about detected spyware?

... that's about it for now. The request for having images / being able to look at this closely and find out what the common factor(s) is/are...

Again, reinforcing my request to have all those affected raise tickets with LANDesk support - this way we can track and notify you of any changes/updates (and hopefully soon - resolution).

Thanks all for the info so far.

Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
                          Apprentice

Paul, we do not have any XP Sp3 installed. All problem machines were XP sp2 and W2K sp4.

• 10. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP

Addendum.

Having thought about this some more - can anyone who's got this isolated (and on a PC you can work on, as opposed to which belongs to a poor employee trying to do their work) run PROCMON and find out what SOFTMON is accessing? Maybe the files that we're trying to access might shed some light here ...

Procmon should indicate any open handles in use by softmon ...  might just get us on the right track fingers crossed

Paul Hoffmann

• 11. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
                              tomob wrote:

Paul, we do not have any XP Sp3 installed. All problem machines were XP sp2 and W2K sp4.

OK ... thanks for that.

I'm updating to the latest patch content ... will see if I can dupe with that. I suspect it won't be quite as easy as that, but never know :).

Paul Hoffmann

• 12. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP

Update:

And it's not as straight forward as "it's patch content". It works just fine in all of my lab, and I'd expect more calls on this than we've had so far. Meh :(.

So back to square one - we need images that dupe the issue, so we can see what's going on, regrettably.

Paul Hoffmann

• 13. Re: Softmon.exe running at 100% - LDMS 8.8 & XP
                                  Rookie

Paul,

I have XP SP3 on my laptop here and it so far hasn't been affected.

The only recent patch to go on boxes was the MS Jet fix (KB950749) and I'm not convinced it was on all the problem boxes.

Phil

1 2 3 Previous Next