1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 2:01 PM by MarXtar

Reboot if process is running?

Rookie

Hi all,

First off - I'm new to these forums and to LANDesk - so apologies if this is a stupid question posted in the wrong place!

I have been set a task where I need to scan several hundred machines and reboot them if a particular windows process is running... how would I best go about this from within LANDesk Management Console?

I know I could write a chunk of vbscript to search the "local" PC for the process and then fire of a reboot if it is found, but I was wondering if there was a smarter or more efficient way of accomplishing this?

Thanks in advance for any advice/support

• 1. Re: Reboot if process is running?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

It isn't a standard feature of LANDesk to do this so it would require a bit of scripting to achieve.

Here is a reasonably simple batch file:

@echo off

set EXEC_CMD="notepad.exe"

wmic process where (name=%EXEC_CMD%) get commandline | findstr /i %EXEC_CMD%> NUL

if errorlevel 1 (

echo Couldn't Find It!!!

) else (

@echo Found It!! %EXEC_CMD%: is running.

)

replace notepad.exe with what you want (but use this as a simple test).

If you are happy with the test then you could change it to something like this:

@echo off

set EXEC_CMD="notepad.exe"

wmic process where (name=%EXEC_CMD%) get commandline | findstr /i %EXEC_CMD%> NUL

if errorlevel 1 (

echo Couldn't Find It!!!

sdclient.exe /msg="Process not found, exiting"

) else (

@echo Found It!! %EXEC_CMD%: is running.

sdclient.exe /msg="Found the running process. Starting to reboot"

sdclient.exe /reboot

)

I haven't tested this last bit, but it is similar to what I've done in the past. It will update your task with a message saying what the result of the script was and if found cause the machine to reboot. All test was done on a Win7x64 system.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Expert Solution Provider

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - New Stand-Alone State Notifier Console for Service Desk Operators

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality