4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 6:11 AM by Nay

contact role users not able to log incidents

Apprentice

Morning Community

I am after some advice I want to be able to allow external people to log incidents as themselves

So they will email in using their own email address that I have confirmed is setup in the "contact" Users folder under administration.
      I have copied the Permissions from End User and created a new group called "External Users" All contacts are part of this role under Roles in folder contact.

How do I get this group -user to be able to log incidents using the same process as end user? I don't want to create AD accounts for these users so they only exposure to our environment will be with LANDesk.

I don't want to open it up so any random email gets logged just ones I specify.

I hope that makes sense, any further information please ask.
      We are using 7.5.0.1 environment.

• 1. Re: contact role users not able to log incidents
          Expert

"I don't want to open it up so any random email gets logged just ones I specify."

To create an incident you need creation rights for incident.  To have creation rights you must have an account.  As you can see below, if the user does not exist you have the choice to create a new account.  Of course you probably don't want to create a new account for a user that does not exist in your system.  For people that do exist you can use roles to determine who can and can't create incidents.  What would be hard is to take an end user that can create an incident in self service but you don't want to allow incident creation via e-mail.

User Settings.png

• 2. Re: contact role users not able to log incidents
            Apprentice

Thanks for responding however that's not the route I want to go down. I still want unknown senders to get the bounce back from the e-mail setting.

what you have suggested would create a type and role for any random email that comes into our mailbox.

I'll explain a bit better

I have created several contacts under Users in User Management.
            I have added these to a Supplier under Groups.
            I have created a new role called "External Users" that is a clone of "End User" (same priveledges) this under the Role "Contact"
            (I wonder if I move this to End User would it make a difference now)

All contacts have the portalEndUser permission and the EXternal User permission role with a group but no configuration item or network login.

Does that make sense now?

So these external contacts should be able to log an incident as they are In LANDesk as a trusted contact (email and name etc) but the others should still receive the invalid user response.

• 3. Re: contact role users not able to log incidents
              Expert

I showed you my screen we use above.  Notice that the top checkbox is not checked.  Because of that, anyone that sends an e-mail and does not exist as a user in Service Desk will NOT create an account or an incident, they get just the bounce back message. 

"So these external contacts should be able to log an incident as they are In LANDesk as a trusted contact (email and name etc) but the others should still receive the invalid user response."

Yes, but ... the group or roles the user is in must have the rights to create an incident.

• 4. Re: contact role users not able to log incidents
                Apprentice

This was resolved with support!

What I had done was correct I was missing one vital part! in order for the customer to be able to log an incident they needed to have a primary group set to a customer group.

Once this was set as well as the rest of the settings I had it worked.

Thanks to Phil Woodward in support.