1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 7:20 AM by keos

Package not Installing

Apprentice

Hi:

I have a package that needs to be installed, in this case it's Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14.  I'm using Package Builder to take a snapshot of the install and create an executible.  Once I have the executible I created a delivery method and then create a software distribution task via executible and also tested using swd.

The package does get transfered to the nodes but the exe does not execute.  I even specified the command line so it will execute it still will not run.

Any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong?  I know I'm doing something wrong.

Firefox is just an example, we have programs that are not msi, or have command line switches.

• 1. Re: Package not Installing
          ahe Expert

Hello.

Could you tell us a bit more about your LANDesk version?

Do you snapshot Firefox for testing the method?

I prefer the original setup with parameters (s. here: Firefox 2.x installation parameters): "Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe" /S /ira

You can check some messages in the logfiles here:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\sdclient_taskxxxx.log"

What does the scheduled task say? Do you've some messages?

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: Package not Installing
            Apprentice

ahe, thank you for the reply

I'm testing Firefox, just as an example.  We are in a school board and student software does not always come with command line switches allowing silent installation.  Heck some of them are still DOS Based.

For these reasons I'm testing the capture snapshot method.

I'm using LANDesk 8.8.

There are no "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\sdclient_taskxxxx.log", and shedule task say it was completed successfully.

• 3. Re: Package not Installing
              ahe Expert

You can check the logs on core too:
              core\ldmain\log\ScheduledTaskHandler_xx.log

Is there a log file in C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache ?

What's happen if you start the exe file manually?

Regards

Axel

• 4. Re: Package not Installing
                Apprentice

Here's the log file:

5/29/2008 9:46:28 AM : loading distribution task (455) for global scheduler client.

5/29/2008 9:46:29 AM : performing hash calculations on package : Test Firefox 2.0.0.14

5/29/2008 9:46:29 AM : Calculating hash for
                nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe

5/29/2008 9:46:33 AM : client version LDMS7_or_earlier does not support polite options

5/29/2008 9:46:34 AM :          455 : Updating allowed machines if needed.

5/29/2008 9:46:34 AM :          455 : Calling method to perform remote operations.

5/29/2008 9:46:34 AM :          455 : Before hasherize of C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\files\NSCLANDESK-task-455.pmf

5/29/2008 9:46:34 AM :          455 : After hasherize

5/29/2008 9:46:34 AM :          455 : Troubleshooting guidelines

The global scheduler has delegated task 455.

The task was delegated by (source): NSCLANDESK.NCDSB.COM

This task was delegated to (dest) : NSCLANDESK

Using GlobalTask_Idn              : 239

This delegation was done by creating an entry in the GlobalTask table on the destination core (the task id is provided above).

The Entry in the GlobalTask should have set to state column to 1 to indicate that it is a new task and should be processed.

The scheduler service should detect and process this delegated task, please check scheduler service log on the destination core to see if it successfully detected the GlobalTask entry.

5/29/2008 9:46:34 AM :          455 : Waiting for task 455 from NSCLANDESK.NCDSB.COM to complete on NSCLANDESK.  Checking every 10 seconds, inactivity timeout after 1200 seconds.

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:39 Using user specified port 12174 for remote execute

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:39 Using user specified read timeout 300000 for remote execute

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:39 1 machines targeted to task

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 Creating a pool of 1 worker threads

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 Worker thread started

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 Thread pool created

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 Processing package

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 Multicasting package files, primary file :

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 multicasting files

Thu, 29 May 2008 09:46:41 Adding machine LSS206 to subnet rep list

If I execute the executible package, Firefox is installed with settings that I did prior to the snapshot.

• 5. Re: Package not Installing
                  ahe Expert

Hello keos,

ok, fine no problem with the EXE.

I'm not so familiar with 8.8 (we use 8.7) but which "Delivery method" do you use? Your agent on computer is version 8.8 too?

Could you recreate the hash of the package and try it again? Could you check your "LANDesk.Scheduler.GlobalScheduler.exe.log" below ldmain for some errors?

Regards

Axel

• 6. Re: Package not Installing
                    Apprentice

I really appricate you helping me with this problem  .  I'm thinking that I could probably get around this problem by using a batch distribution and calling the executible with it, but I just don't want to do that for principal reasons.  The documented and practice say I can simply create the package and send it to the workstation and have it installed, so I'm banking on that.

All machines, weather it's core or manage nodes are using LD8.8.  I have reset the hash and have in once instance recated the executible also.  If I launch the exe the program is installed, there's just a little snag with getting the executible to launch. :_|

LANDesk.Scheduler.GlobalScheduler.exe.log, doesn't tell me much about this problem, though there are no erros that I can see.

• 7. Re: Package not Installing
                      ahe Expert

Hello keos,

I'm back again now

Did you test any other package or script in the meantime?

Did you test your successful manual installation of your package with the Local System account or with your administrative account?

Regards

Axel

• 8. Re: Package not Installing
                        Apprentice

Hi

I'm glad you are still answering my questions.  I have not create a batch file to install the program, I believe it will work.  I didn't want to create 2 methods to get the software deployed: One executable and then one batch process.  According to the process and wizard, it should transfer the program to the workstation and then launch to install the program.

If I just execute the program locally on the workstation it will extract and complete the install without any gui.  So manually it will install without a problem.  Hmm, if I do a remote execute I could achieve the same thing, but will this use multicast to cut down on bandwidth issues?  15MBx4500(workstation) would generate alot of traffic.

• 9. Re: Package not Installing
                          Jason SupportEmployee

2 questions:

1:.When you created the distribution package in LANDesk did you choose an EXE package type or SWD?

Package builder packages need to be created as SWD package.

2. Looking at your log posted further down this is a multicast job. For the delivery method did you choose Multicast(cache only) or a push?

It appears that you choose Multicast(cache only) which will only place the file in the SDMCACHE on the client but never call the exe.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Package not Installing
                            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Indeed - what Jason said is a very valid point (my apologies for only seeing this thread a bit late, can't touch all ).

You may want to see the client-side logs - these will confirm to you whether we actually start to execute it (is Jason's point holds, we will not - we'll just download the file).

To help you along the path (and for future reference) here's the client-side logs:

Location 1:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\"

==> SDCLIENT.LOG

>

>

Location 2:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\"

=> SDCLIENT.LOG

=> SDCLIENT_TASK##.log

>

In this case, particularly the SDCLIENT_TASK##.log (where ## == the number/TASK_IDN of the task in the database's "LD_TASK" table) will be the most useful normally.

Re-hashing will not help here, since the package hash should be fine as is. Immediately after downloading a file, we check the hash-value it has against what it SHOULD have - and if it doesn't match up, we discard the file (and you'd get an error).

At this point, all would make sense if you use the "mutlicast (cache only)" delivery method, and you may just as well only use a push.

The only thing that changed in 8.8 are policies (so pull-based distribution) - push based stuff is still working exactly the same way as normal.

• 11. Re: Package not Installing
                              ahe Expert

Hello Paul,

he wrote that he does not have "sdclien_task##.log" (is there something different between 8.7 and 8.8?) and re-hashing didn't change the problem (the file is copied but not executed).

We've to wait for the answer which Delivery Method keos used (s. some posts before), I think the idea of the "cache-only" setting could be the cause of the issue . . .

Regards

Axel

• 12. Re: Package not Installing
                                phoffmann SupportEmployee

He has? Oh - must've missed that. My apologies

In that case, SDCLIENT never runs (so to speak), so that explains why there is no execution of the package (again - pointing to the delivery method). The only way to track things in such a scenario on the client would be to enable debug-code for LDDWNLD - but we've got a pretty good idea on what's happening anyway now, so that's an easy check :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 13. Re: Package not Installing
                                  Apprentice

OK, sorry for the late reply, also thank you for everyone that responded.  THis is a great forum.

Now onto the problem and hopefully answer.

Yes, I was using Multicast (Cache only) which does explain why it was only copying to the workstation.  I created a SWD distribution and have also tried executable, both method didn't work.

Reading Jason's post late yesterday I adjusted the delivery method to PUSH.  This created another problem instead, I'm now constantly seeing the message "unable to access the package".  To try to overcome this I have delete everything related to the test, I've recreated the package, distribution package, delivery method and schedule task.

This new problem plagues me now.

Here's the log from sdclient.log

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:19:59 Performing TCP connection with a timeout of -1 milliseconds

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:20:00 Performing TCP connection with a timeout of 2500 milliseconds

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:20:00 SAD ProcessNeedFileReply about to download http://LANDesk.Gateway@10.50.0.182/ldlogon/FileLists/taskmanifest.NSCLANDESK.ncdsb.com.466.21.ini from peer 10.206.100.2

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:20:14 Download information for http://LANDesk.Gateway@10.50.0.182/ldlogon/FileLists/taskmanifest.NSCLANDESK.ncdsb.com.466.21.ini : 93 bytes in 0:00:00.062 seconds, bandwidth 1.4648 kb/s

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:41 Performing TCP connection with a timeout of -1 milliseconds

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:41 Performing TCP connection with a timeout of 2500 milliseconds

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:41 SAD ProcessNeedFileReply about to download http://LANDesk.Gateway@10.50.0.182/ldlogon/FileLists/taskmanifest.NSCLANDESK.ncdsb.com.467.22.ini from peer 10.206.100.2

Also from the sdclient_task###.log

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:36 Checking preferred server path
                                  LSS206\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe instead of

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:41 File (
                                  nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe) is not in cache

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:41 Checking preferred server path

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 Downloading file
                                  nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe (ZiSI49R47MTONbkywiUFsQ==, 2)

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 Downloading file 1 of 1 from '
                                  nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe'

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 Checking preferred server path

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 ClientThread

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 PackagePath:     http://\\nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 PackageGUID:     []

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:43 PackageParam:   

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:44 Checking recently used server path
                                  nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe instead of

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:44 Checking preferred server path

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:44 Package is not in cache, the remote location '
                                  nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe' will be used (2 levels)

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:44 Installing '
                                  nsclandesk\packages\Firefox 2.0.0.14.exe' with the following options ' /Ab /Ac /Ah-'

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:47 Installing package

Options :  /Ab /Ac /Ah-

Aiclient returned 207

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:47 InstallProc returned 207

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:47 AiExitCode = 207

Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:38:47 processing of package is complete, result -1917845297 (0x8db000cf - code 207)

I am now out of ideas, please help... :_| 

• 14. Re: Package not Installing
                                    Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

First off why are you using package builder?  I don't know why people insist on using a dead product that will not work on any future operation system from Vista forward.  Almost all software is already packaged very well these days.

Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe is already a single file executable and already packaged better the package builder can package it.  So stop using package builder.

You should always check and see if the application can be deployed silently as is before packaging it.  This site is always good to look at before deploying or trying to repackage software.  http://www.appdeploy.com.

Instead of wasting your time repackaging and already well packages application, do this:

1. Put the Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe on a share or web share.

2. Create an Executable Distribution Package.

3. Give it a name and a description.

4. Make Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe the primary file.

5. Add /S (case sensitive make sure it is a capital S) as a command line parameter.

6. Save the distribution Package

7. Create a scheduled task with you choice of delivery method and push it out.

You can also check out some more information on http://www.appdeploy.com.

That links to this site which can show you how to and a .ini file to do more options when installing.:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Talk:Installer:Command_Line_Arguments#command_line_arguments_to_uninstall_firefox_2.0

1 2 Previous Next