6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 2:27 PM by dmshimself

Update a collection in a different module using a process

Apprentice

Hi,

Can someone help me with this please.

I am in the Request module, trying to update a collection in the System module. The object I'm trying to update is a 'site' and the collection item is a CI. I've created a custom object with window in the Request module and have linked the CI item and Sites item to it. Now I need to tell LANDesk that when someone chooses the site from a dropdown and the CI from a dropdown, to update the collection on site with the CI item specified.

Can someone help?

• 1. Re: Update a collection in a different module using a process
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

A few questions in order to try and understand.  When you say 'update a collection in the system module' - collections generally only exist against a process.  Is this the case here?  You might also mean things like links from user or groups to CIs

My guess is that you have a customer action on request which collects a reference entry for Site and a CI entry for Config and you want to update 'something' with both of those as art oif the update algorithm, but I cannot puzzle out what that something is.  Does the CI have a site drop down on it that you want to update or the other way round or do you want to link the CI to the site in some way or something else?  Sorry to apepar to be dense, but it is the last week the long break.

• 2. Re: Update a collection in a different module using a process
            Apprentice

Hi there,

Let me clarify, as I realize that was a bit vague.

- My process exists in the Request module. The collection (CIs on Sites) I want to update in this case exists in a different module than Request, in this case, System. Any Action I make directly on that collection is not visible in Request.

- The Request process I'm working with asks the person making the request to choose a site (physical location) from a dropdown, or to add their own. Sites is a user-defined table (I created it).

- The next step in the process is for the person to add a CI to that site. Sites can have multiple CIs, which can be added over multiple tickets (thus the collection).

- To recap: The site exists in the System module. The CI exists in the Configuration Management module. The Request exists in the Request Module.

- I want to update the collection of CIs on a specific Site while making a Request.

I hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Update a collection in a different module using a process
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Humm, I probably wouldn't design the process that way (sorry).  I'm also not sure how you current manage the collect of Cis on sites.  How do you do that?

What I would have done is created Sites as Groups.  Then you can use the administration tool to add/remove CIs from the groups (sites) and you can also use a process action to add/remove CI items from sites to give a consistent approach

• 4. Re: Update a collection in a different module using a process
                Apprentice

Hi dms,

You came to the same conclusion Martyn and I did, by making sites groups. However, where we are stuck now is that we would like to make our sites groups on "customer" (our sites are customers, not users of LANDesk), but are unable to add/remove customer configuration items from groups in a process.

So basically we have a linking business object in the CM module called "Customer Configuration Item" and we need to link that in a process. The problem is that we can't seem to add it to the Business Object Actions in Request.

Any suggestions for this one? I've added a screenshot to give you a better idea. I would like "Customer Configuration Item" to be an object under configuration Management. Note: The screenshot is of the Business Object Actions in Request.

• 6. Re: Update a collection in a different module using a process
                  dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

All I'd be doing is working through that bit of the manual.  I seem to recall when I did this ages back with 7.4 that I got it to work with groups, but it's just way to long ago and way to close to Xmas!  I'd suggest LD will advise if that is a likely option.

Without actually doing it myself, I cannot think of much else to try.