4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 4:49 PM by RyanG

Wireless NIC vs Onboard NIC and name recognition during sysprep

Apprentice

I have an issue where all my laptops run off wireless and the agent uses the wireless MAC address as the address. When I go to image the machines (I use the LAN) the sysprep doesnt pickup the machine name as LANDesk records the Wireless LAN MAC not LAN MAC which it is currently being imaged off.

Is there some way around this?

Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: Wireless NIC vs Onboard NIC and name recognition during sysprep
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

I'm a bit curious how that's suppose to work, exactly.

Are you saying your laptops are booting off of PXE?

Or is it the mini-scans that are coming in with the wireless NIC's MAC's?

Ideally, wireless NIC's should be disabled for OSD (as they cause just this sort of mayhem) - though in most cases WinPE has the good sense to not recognize them at least ... hmpf. You didn't add (per chance) drivers for the Wireless NIC's? If so, you could remove them - without drivers, the NIC would not be recognizable and that would resolve your problem?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Wireless NIC vs Onboard NIC and name recognition during sysprep
            Apprentice

Hi Paul

I'll try to explain a little better.

Before I Image if I look in my devices the MAC address for network is the wireless MAC. Now to my knowledge you can't PXE boot off wireless?

So, I Image off the network (plus its 200 times quicker).

When my sysprep runs and looks for an existing machine name it checks the MAC address (see's the wireless MAC) does not recognise the device (as it is running off the NIC MAC address) and uses a generic name for the computer (instead of using an exisiting name from the device list). I want it to use the existing device name, not create new names for my laptops which follow a specific naming convention.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: Wireless NIC vs Onboard NIC and name recognition during sysprep
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Of course you image off the network.

You need to send an inventory or miniscan as soon as you connect the LAN but before you reboot to WinPE.

If the machine is dead, then you need to use CSVImport to udpate the MAC Address to the LAN NIC prior to starting the imaging process.  Use the Device ID and the Device Name values in your CSVImport file to make sure the current entry is updated instead of adding a new miniscan entry.

The imaging process goes off of the inventory value Network - NIC Address.  It does not use Network - TCPIP - Bound Adapter 0 or 1, or 2...etc...which is where the LAN adapter info resides when the Wireless is the primary network card used.

• 4. Re: Wireless NIC vs Onboard NIC and name recognition during sysprep
                Apprentice

Thanks rhyous.

Your spot, on my problem is that the Network - NIC Address is my wireless NIC, not my LAN NIC. Hense it creates a new device.

SO, how do i force a miniscan before an OS deployment?

Or is the only option to use CSVImport everytime before imaging an existing device?