10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 10:42 AM by Mach6

Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?

Apprentice

Hello,

i'm using LDMS 9.5 SP1 and want to deploy windows 8.1 to Elitepad 900 devices with Provisioning Template. Has someone successfull deployed Windows 8.1 to Elitepad and could possibly share there template ? Especially the partitioning and deployment part.

I'm not able to boot deployed Windows 8.1 because of BCD errors and so on. The partitioning part with GPT or not and 100MB boot partition or not is confusing for me ..

Thanks

regards

Alex

• 1. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
          Employee

Are you using ImageX or ImageW to capture/deploy?  Based on the questions about partitions I'm guessing it's ImageX.  Is that right?

• 2. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
            Apprentice

Yes i'm using ImageX. Seems like UEFI needs other Information then normal BIOS deployment ?

regards

Alex

• 3. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
              Employee

In 9.5 SP1 you should be able to use the Create Partition action that does the whole thing (create, format, mount, etc.) all in one.  Your template for UEFI should look like this:

Create Partition:

GPT box selected

Type = EFI Boot Partition

Size = 350 MB (generally)

Format, yes.  FAT32

Mount, yes.  Drive letter = S  (This is what MS uses in their example scripts, so we'll do it to stay consistent)

Create Partition:

GPT box selected

Type = MSR

Size = 128 MB

Format, no

Mount, no

Create Partition

GPT box selected

Type = Primary

Size = blank (the rest of the drive)

Format, yes.  NTFS

Mount, yes.  Driver letter = C

Then deploy your image to drive C.

After you deploy your image and sometime before CTOS you need to run:

bcdboot.exe C:\Windows /s S:

That will create the BCD files and everything needed for the boot partition.  You do not need to capture/deploy the boot partition separately, if you were doing that.

Let me know what questions you've got and whether or not this works.

Thanks!

Edited for a quick correction.

• 4. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                Apprentice

Hi Mach6,

perfect! Thanks for that!

One question regarding BCD. Will FixWindows.exe work with windows 8 or to do the "bcdboot.exe C:\Windows /s S": job ? Or is fixwindows.exe no more useable anyway ? There was also an fixwindows.bat out there

REM Download all files necessary to detect the OS partition and

REM then run the utility that will assign OS partition to drive C:

ldrun sdclient.exe /f /o /dest="x:\ldclient\fixvista.bat" /p="Y:\landesk\files\FixVista.bat"

ldrun sdclient.exe /f /o /dest="x:\ldclient\fixntfs.exe" /p="Y:\landesk\files\fixntfs.exe"

ldrun sdclient.exe /f /o /dest="x:\ldclient\bcdedit.exe" /p="Y:\landesk\files\bcdedit.exe"

ldrun sdclient.exe /f /o /dest="x:\cba8\FixWindows.exe" /p="Y:\landesk\files\FixWindows.exe"

REM Make sure FixWindows is completely ready to use - Sometimes failed with no wait

ldrun ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 15

ldrun x:\cba8\FixWindows.exe

Is this Just Vista / Windows 7 stuff or Windows 8 too ?

Thanks regards

Alex

• 5. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                  Employee

The point of FixWindows is to move partitions around so you know that the OS drive is C:.  In ImageW (or other sector based deployment scenarios) that can be an issue.  With ImageX (and other file based utilities) you assign the drive letter yourself, so there is no need to move them around after the fact.

In your scenario you should not need FixWindows at all.

• 6. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                    Apprentice

Works like a charm.

Thank you. !

• 7. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                      Employee

Glad to hear it!

• 8. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                        Employee

I just looked at the partitioning I told you to use and realize I made a mistake.  It will work as is, but the actual spec is for the Microsoft Reserved partition to be 128 MB, not the 350 like I said.

It doesn't hurt for it to be bigger, and a few hundred megabytes isn't going to make or break any system, but I'm updating my original post to show 128 on that one.

Cheers!

• 9. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                          ale.badin Apprentice

Hi Mach,

which patch level are you referring to?

with LDMS 9.5 sp1 (no CP installed) it fails during EFI partition, stating that diskpart can't assign a mount point to the partition (and therefore there's no formatting it).

I'm pretty sure this was fixed after sp1, but can't really remember the exact patch.

Thanks a lot 

• 10. Re: Elitepad 900 Windows 8 deployment ?
                            Employee

I believe it should be working in 9.5 SP1 with no component patches.  Not sure why it would be different for you.

Can you post a screenshot of the parameters you have used for the EFI partition creation?