2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2008 7:04 AM by Makke

How-to build a query for Windows Firewall exceptions

Apprentice

Hello,

We've made a Windows Firewall setting to enable the File and Printer sharing exception  in the Windows Firewall on Windows XP SP2.

We've seen that when a Windows Firewall setting is pushed to the clients and the options we set are already  implemented on the client, the scheduled task will fail. This is normal because it cannot implement the setting.

To prevent the tasks from failing I want to build a query to look if the File and Printer sharing  is enabled on the clients. However, I am unable to find anything in the inventory which gives me information about firewall exceptions.

Does anyone have experience with building such a query? If so, how can I query for exceptions in the firewall?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• 1. Re: How-to build a query for Windows Firewall exceptions
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Couple of alternatives which may make things easier.

1 - Consider a batch file or VB-script?

This would allow for some detection logic and some "if ... then ... else ..." logic reasonably easily :).

2 - Consider a custom vulnerability ?

Much like the above - this allows you also some better reporting on what clients are "vulnerable" to what you want to set, and thus control?

Custom vulnerabilities only require a "normal" LANDesk license, since we permit you to create your own content as you want to use it with LANDesk.

The two are pretty much just different ways of doing the same thing, you simply didn't state how you're trying to do what you're doing at the moment, so I figured I'd kick off a few alternatives

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How-to build a query for Windows Firewall exceptions
            Apprentice

Thank you for your reply. We will check your suggestions.

Mark