5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 5:51 AM by Carl.Simpson

ServiceDesk Incident close category - matching incident category?

Rookie

I'm fairly new to this, so apologies if this is in the wrong place, or the question is obvious!

Logging an Incident in Landesk servicedesk 7.6.1 via web you select what at the time is the relevant category.  But then when closing the incident you also have to select the a category on the closure window, you may or may not use the same category, depending on what the problem ended up being.

Both of our category lists point to the same list which is nice and tidy.  Is it possible to pull across the Incident Category into the Closure Category on the Closure window?  so it defaults to the Incident category, but it's possible to change it if you want to.

We've done something similar if the Close on Creation box is ticked, the close action in the process pulls through incident category.  I guess this is because it's an automatic action and you don't see the window popup, making this possible.  Is it possible to do the same on the manual Close action?

Thanks

Pete

• 1. Re: ServiceDesk Incident close category - matching incident category?
          Expert

Maybe this will help, maybe not.  We use two very different list of categories.  The first set of categories is for the incident creation that categorizes what the type of problem is.  IE Network and then Wireless or Network and Ethernet.  The resolution uses a different set of categories that categorizes what the analyst did to fix the problem.  IE Training, account issue, password reset, configured windows etc.

Our thinking was that in the incident we wanted to know what types of problems are users having.  The resolution tells us what our analysts are doing to fix the issues.  It's two very different questions and answers.  Using the same category for the resolution seems like a waste of time and effort.  I think you will find the resolution categories fascinating.

• 2. Re: ServiceDesk Incident close category - matching incident category?
            Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

IMHO I'd question really if populating it with the same data as the opening category is the correct thing to do anyway.

Even if you use the same category data for both opening and resolution (I do this as standard on most implementations anyway unless the customer requests different as per Carls suggestion which is also valid BTW) leaving it blank and mandatory does force the Analyst to think about what they are putting in this field.

If you prefill it then lazy Analysts (as if!) may not bother changing the prefilled value.  Then you lose the ability to report on differences between opening and resolution categories;  ie was the actual fault different from what you  thought it was at point of logging?  Did your first line team incorrectly assess and thus potentially route the Incident to the wrong second line teams;  do they need training then?  Being able to answer questions like this make leaving it blank better IMHO.

Julian

• 3. Re: ServiceDesk Incident close category - matching incident category?
              Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

To answer your question though you cant pull through value type information onto a window attached to a manual action though you can as you say do this on an automatic action.  With a manual action you can only set the Action Instance Data to a static text value or include {} placeholders if something like a reminder will resolve them.

The trick to do what you what would be to "Ghost" the window as a manual action and then value type values from your "Ghost" window onto the real Resolve window as an automatic action with value types as you have already found.

For "Ghost" window read:

• Add the same attribute as you have on the resolution window onto the main Incident Business Object (minus category) as you have that already. 
              • Create a Window on the "Incident "BO node in Window Manager to create a "Resolution" ghost window like your real Resolution one.  You should be able to make it look identical.
              • Create an process action on Incident process with associate to window checkbox checked.
              • Add a view rule that associates the Action you have created to your Ghost window.
              • Anywhere in your process where you have the old "Resolve" action (this whole scenario wont work for Resolve as an optional action BTW as no possibility to do next step) then replace it with your "Ghost" manual action.
              • After this drop the original "Resolve" action back onto the window immediately after the "Ghost" action but this time as an automatic (green) action.   For each field on that window, use value types or calculations as appropriate to copy like for like fields from your "Ghost" window attributes;  the ones you created on the Incident Business Object.
              • Link up (chain) actions and save.

That should do it for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ServiceDesk Incident close category - matching incident category?
                Rookie

Thanks for the replies.  It's given us somethings to think about. 

I guess it's that as the incident is investigated, it turns out that the problem could be something else.

I like the way of working that [email protected] uses, but don't think it's gonna fit in with our staff.  So, will look at implementing the ghost window soluction as per JulianWigman suggestion.  Unfortunately, yep, there's gonna be lazy analysts that do not change it i suspect!

Pete

• 5. Re: ServiceDesk Incident close category - matching incident category?
                  Expert

Unfortunately, yep, there's gonna be lazy analysts that do not change it i suspect!

Pete

Yup, that is exactly what will happen.  You might get better results if it was left empty and they were forced to enter something.  83% of our incidents are opened and resolved by the same analyst within 24 hours, what do you think the odds are that any would be different?