4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 2:03 PM by Jay

OSD requirement

We are using OSD with provisioning templates in our environment. The new requirement is to use the existing image and provisioning templates to do imaging from our warehose which has no connectivity to LANDesk Server. Can we perform  OSD through a DVD or portable harddisk in this scenario. Please suggest.

• 1. Re: OSD requirement
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

No, unless you do a lot of scripting in WinPE to follow the steps of your Provisioning templates so it can run wothout being connected, Provisioning itself always requires contact with the Core Server.

• 2. Re: OSD requirement
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Can you configure any kind of connection from a system in the warehouse? Perhaps if it was configured as a PXE Server and also had a VPN connection setup (providing there is internet connectivity)?

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

LANDesk Expert Solution Provider

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - New Stand-Alone State Notifier Console for Service Desk Operators

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

• 3. Re: OSD requirement

Is it possible to copy the LANDesk Image in a portable harddisk and install image to machines at warehouse and later connect  the same machine to client network for completing provisioning part.

• 4. Re: OSD requirement

So long as you are using the LANDesk .tbi files it is possible to deploy the OS from a portable hard drive.  I have done this in 9.0 (for deploying Win7 OS)havent tried in 9.5 but belive it should still work. this is going to be down and dirty no HII, or anything this will just get the image on the machine.  HII and other things can be done; but woudl require a much more indepth write up and I do not have the in depth knowledge to ensure 100% success with that i will leave it to just getting the OS on the machine.

Please remember i am doing this from what i did in 9.0SP3 i havent tried since; but did use it to upgrade 70 machines that had no connectivity to core.

What you will need

-- Portable Hard drive for image file(s), Driver files, sysprep file, and imagew applications (found on your core)

-- 2nd usb drive made into a provisioning boot device or a blank cd (ive never used the cd)

1.) From your console go to OSD  you should see an icon on the tool bar that looks like 4 green floppy disks click it and follow directions to make bootable USB/CD

2.) Copy your image and the imagew.exe and imagew_64.exe to your portable hard drive. location i believe is \MangementSuite\osd\imagew 2\ or \managementsuite\ldmain\osd\imagew 2\

3.) boot machine to provisioning usb/cd (once booted you can remove the usb/cd)

4.) ****Optional Format Drive using diskpart

5.) ****Optional remove all drive letters from cd/rom's and drives (again via diskpart) -- from the command line in the WinPE environment run this command:
                diskpart.exe -s x:\ldclient\rmvol.txt

6.)  plug in the portable hard drive with your image and the imaging tool

7.) use diskpart to see what drive letter it was assigned

8.) change to that drive in teh command line

9.) run imagew.exe (possibly imagew_64.exe havent tried in 9.5) as follows:

imagew.exe /r /o /x /d:0 /rb:0 /f:<absolute_path_to_imagefile>.tbi

/f example:

10.) OS should load and now you are more/less ready to proceed.

Next Steps would be to mount a partition (assign drive letter) so you can inject your sysprep file to root (if you wanted).

Once you get into the OS ensure you install an Agent.

again this is only to get an OS on the box.  i know drivers can be loaded using DSIM(sp?) but i am not knowledgeable enough to do that... most i ever did was deploy the os and inject sysprep. then add the drivers after the fact

HTH and good luck!