11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 11:42 AM by jevarts

Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"

Rookie

I am testing the upgrade from 7.5 SP1 to 7.7 on my dev server and it is failing at "Preparing upgrade of Service Desk" on my app server.  The installer completed fine on my web server. This is the tail of the installation log that shows the output when I click "Try Again":

2014-02-19 13:53:16 INFO: Deserializing XML for object type Setup.Common.Xml.SetupXml     (SetupXmlReader.RefreshXml())

2014-02-19 13:53:16 INFO: Serializing XML type: Setup.Common.Xml.SetupXml     (SetupController.WriteXml())

2014-02-19 13:53:16 INFO: Serializing XML type: Setup.Common.Xml.SetupXml     (SetupController.WriteXml())

2014-02-19 13:53:16 INFO: Executing command Service Desk MSI - Uninstall     (SetupController.ExecuteCurrentCommand())

2014-02-19 13:53:16 INFO: Executing: msiexec.exe /x {D754D873-1347-4E07-B18E-6A725C81EF22} /qn  /lvx "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\ServiceDesk\Install\7.7\Log\LANDesk.Install.ServiceDesk.Config.Uninstall.MSI.log" ENABLEEXEC=1     (Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())

2014-02-19 13:53:17 INFO: Notifying ProcessBegin: msiexec.exe     (Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())

2014-02-19 13:53:17 ERROR: Execution of Service Desk MSI - Uninstall completed. Return code: 1618, State: Failure     (SetupController.ExecuteCurrentCommand())

2014-02-19 13:53:17 INFO: Serializing XML type: Setup.Common.Xml.SetupXml     (SetupController.WriteXml())

The only post I found relating to the error above is about 7.5 and 7.5 SP1 when LDMS Console 9.5 is installed, but the console is not installed on this server.  If anyone has any input about this, it is appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
          Expert

I know it is a different Return Code, but any chance you are logged into the server as a different user than the user who installed the previous/existing version? 

If so, then:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-26439

Solution

This issue has been logged as Problem 5446 and will be addressed in a future release.  There are two manual solutions in the short term:

1. Log in as the same user that originally installed Service Desk 7.5 and attempt the uninstall / upgrade again.
          2. Follow the steps in the next section of this document.

Fixing the Service Desk 7.5 installation so it can be uninstalled / upgraded by another user

If you are unable to log in as the user that originally installed Service Desk 7.5 the following steps will switch which user is able to perform the uninstall / upgrade.

1. Log in as the user you wish to uninstall / upgrade as.
          2. Download and unzip the attached file Fix 7.5 Installer Tool.zip.
          3. Run Fix75Installer.exe.  The tool will fix the Service Desk 7.5 installation to allow the current user to uninstall / upgrade.

If the tool reports any errors or you still experience issues after running the tool please contact your support provider.

Update in v1.1 added July 17th: To run the tool without it logging to screen or prompting to exit once it has completed run with the /q command line switch: Fix75Installer.exe /q

• 2. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
            Rookie

I am, but I have already used the tool to fix the user issue.  It looks like 7.5sp1 is just not uninstalling properly because it keeps hanging, both with the 7.7 installer and by specifically running the uninstall for 7.5sp1.  We think the install might just be botched and I am probably just going to spin up a new app server.  Luckily this is just my dev environment.

• 3. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
              Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Support has a workaround they can provide to assist in manually removing Service Desk 7.5.  I had this happen a few time and they were able to assist.

• 4. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                Stu McNeill Employee

Hi,

MSI error code typically 1618 means "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.".

I'm not sure how it would have got in to that situation but I'd suggest simply rebooting and trying again.

• 5. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                  Rookie

Stu,

The error is probably occurring because it is stuck while uninstalling 7.5sp1.  Trying to uninstall with the 7.7 upgrade as well as the 7.5sp1 installer both sit on uninstalling indefinitely (log step below).

Executing: msiexec.exe /x {D754D873-1347-4E07-B18E-6A725C81EF22} /qn /lvx "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\ServiceDesk\Install\7.7\Log\LANDesk.Install.ServiceDesk.Config.Uninstall.MSI.log" ENABLEEXEC=1 (Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())

I have rebooted to it looking like 7.5sp1 is uninstalled but the 7.7 installer still winds up failing.  I have tried reinstalling 7.5sp1 and then running the upgrade again, uninstalling from 7.5sp1, and uninstalling from the program manager, but each time the uninstall just sits and does not complete.  I am rebooting between each action.

• 6. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                    Fabian Schmidt Expert

@mmorales: For 7.5 SP1 there is a different fix installer available as for 7.5

@jevarts: Perhaps you try this fix installer prior upgrading: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-26455

• 7. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                      Rookie

Thanks, but I am past that as I mentioned above.  Also, the appropriate utility will only run for the correct installed version.  I am pretty sure that the install is just messed up because 7.5sp1 is installed and shows in the registry, but not in add/remove and trying to uninstall via command line gives me the "This only works for installed applications" error.  It is looking like we just need to restore the base image and start over with a clean 7.7 install.

• 8. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                        Expert

Microsoft used to publish an unistall utility, but has since removed it.  Since you mentioned that it is not removable from Add/remove and from the LDSD installer, i would've recommended that.  Although you are just going to do a restore and perform a clean image, if you want the Microsoft utility, let me know.  I have a copy of it and have used it in the past when i was unable to remove the LDSD install(s).

Good luck on the 7.7!

This is where MS used to have the util:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

• 9. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                          Rookie

I was looking at that earlier but did not try to track down a copy.  I actually would like to try that; I would rather fix the install than reimage if I can.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                            Expert

I've attached two .zip files.  One is the portable utility that allows you to run the fix on a remote system.  The other is used locally and has more features.  It has been a while since i had to use them, but they did fix my issues and i was able to completely remove LDSD.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Upgrade to 7.7 failing at "Preparing upgrade"
                              Rookie

Thanks.  I was having a number of issues but ultimately realized that the app server was running on 2008 32-bit.  Even after I got things to go through, it failed on the upgrade because it is not compatible.  I did not even notice it at first because our prod web and app are on R2 and the dev web server is R2.  We had to make some infrastructure decisions to accomodate the upgrade, but everything seems to be working now.