3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 6:15 PM by ahe

How to distribute Software package without the intervention of the End User or the End User must not know what is going on in the back

Apprentice

How to distribute Software package without the intervention of the End User or the End User must not know what is going on in the back.

I tried to distribute the package with the following options

1.Run from the source

2.Hide from the User

What are all options we have to configure in the push or policy push delivery method

What type of path we have to give(UNC or Web site path)

Whether we have to create any MST file

Actually what is the error is "cannot request exclusive semaphore at interrupt time"  when i am using  the UNC share Path and Run from Source Delivery Method

• 1. Re: How to distribute Software package without the intervention of the End User or the End User must not know what is going on in the back
          beau.gordon Employee

'Run from source' does not affect whether the user sees any feedback.  If you set 'hide all feedback from user' then LANDesk will attempt to do a silent installation. 

If the package is an MSI, that means that it will run with the /qn options for msiexec.  Depending on the application, you may or may not need to provide an MST file in order for the application to install successfully without user intrvention.

If it is an executable (EXE) based package, then you will need to find out what command-line switches you need to specify for a silent installation.  Add these to the 'command line' field in the distribution package in the install/uninstall options section.

>Actually what is the error is "cannot request exclusive semaphore at interrupt time" when i am using the UNC share Path and Run from Source Delivery Method

This usually means there are some network resources that the installation attempts to access, but LocalSystem cannot access them.  The package installation will run in the user context of LocalSystem on the client.  Preferred package server can help with this, or you can add the Domain Computers group access to the network share.

• 2. Re: How to distribute Software package without the intervention of the End User or the End User must not know what is going on in the back
            Rookie

I have a package that is repeatly getting the following error:

AiExitCode = 141

An error occurred while attempting to update the user specific information

when attempting to push to client. I set it up as a local system account deploy on the management console for this package.

what options do i have to select when using package builder so it doesnt look at the HKEY current user.

i selected all users in the build options of the package builder software.  the application still works and installs but how do i get rid of this error or how can i modify the package to remove any current user entrys using enhanced package builder.

please let me know

thanks

• 3. Re: How to distribute Software package without the intervention of the End User or the End User must not know what is going on in the back
              ahe Expert

Hello.

i selected all users in the build options of the package builder software. the application still works and installs but how do i get rid of this error or how can i modify the package to remove any current user entrys using enhanced package builder.I think it's not a error, a package will install everytime in the user context which starts the package.

If the application has a option like "ALL_USERS=YES" which is used in some setups (s. a lot examples here: www.appdeploy.com) then you can be sure that this option will work.

In Package Builder you can find the options "All Users" or "Logged On User" here:

• BASE INSTALLATION - WindowsItem

• SYSTEM CHANGES - Shortcut

but these are for the creation of shortcuts only. If you want to install a application for "All Users" you should check the paramters or the setup or you've to find and export the user specific things (registry settings, files) and import to the .DEFAULT user (all users profile) of the client. (check with regshot.exe)

There is a possibility to run something in the context of the logged on user instead of  Local System, s. here: Running Commands as the Logged on User Using StartAsUser.exe but I think that's not what you want...

Regards

Axel