9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 8:31 AM by demegui

Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning

Rookie

Has anybody had any sucess provisioning a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet2 device? We're running 9.5 SP2, and I cannot get it to boot from a Provisioning Boot medium writen to a USB stick. The tablet is 32bit UEFI, it seems the slightest hint of anything 64bit on the boot medium causes it to fail.

Is there anyway of forcing 32bit only when creating the \ldmain\landesk\vboot\bootmedia.wim file?

• 1. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
          LANDave SupportEmployee

I would recommend changing the bios settings on the tablet to Legacy mode instead of UEFI.

Is there an option for that?

• 2. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
            Rookie

Unfortunately not, it appears to be locked at UEFI only. I tried a BIOS update to see if any further options were made available, but still nothing. The actual model in question has recently been superceded, so we'll see if the next model has such options, but it's not looking hopeful.

• 3. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
              LANDave SupportEmployee

You are right that it is UEFI only.

I found the following document that may be helpful:

http://download.lenovo.com/luc/dml/Tablet2_Imaging_considerations.pdf

When you say it doesn't work when booting from USB Media, what exactly happens?

Any error messages?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
                LANDave SupportEmployee

I also noticed some comments from another user:

Provisioning with Windows 8 UEFI boot using Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (32-bit).

If you're stuck on getting PXE-21 error "remote boot cancelled"

After fighting this for 2 months the simple fix was I needed to click on "Start Now" for my Scheduled Task created from my Provisioning Template. I did the create Bare Metal Server thing using the MAC address of the official Lenovo-USB ethernet adapter. I'm using a clean 9.5 core with SP1 installed - none of the early hotfixes are applied, just SP1.

The bummer - since it is using 2.0 USB > ethernet the image capture for 35GB+ is over 6 hours compared to equivalent laptop capture time of around 1 hour (in our environment).

Also, definitely want to use a powered USB hub so you can just select IPv4 for the boot using a standard keyboard. Do the Settings/Change PC Settings/General/Advanced Startup - Restart Now/Use a Device/Network Adapter ** after clicking on network adapter start pounding F12 so you get the full boot menu and then you can expand network to just use IPv4. **

You won't get the options if you don't use the Lenovo USB > ethernet adapter. It will just normal boot then.

• 5. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
                  Rookie

I can get into the boot menu by hammering F12, the USB device is top of the list, and shows the USB device brand name, so I know it has been recognised. However, hitting ENTER does nothing, the tablet screen just flickers once and it doesn't boot.

I'd previously seen the document about PXE booting and the Bare metal NIC MAC trick, but thank you for pointing them out, maybe I missed something, so I'm going to try again. We have a powered USB3.0 hub and a geniune Lenovo USB ethernet dongle. For some reason, on the BIOS boot options, I'm not getting any options on the ethernet dongle, so I don't think it is being recognised, despite being genuine.

I'll pick this up again when I get back from holiday late next week, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
                    LANDave SupportEmployee

It needs plugged directly into the tablet.

It cannot be plugged into a hub, from what I understand.

Make sure the adapter you have is this one:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=4X90E51405&category-id=BF8C0B7DC9BB4C13B5EF4FE54E3ABB39&hide_menu_area=yes

• 7. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
                      Apprentice

We just got a bunch Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. CTonkin, in order to create the USB Boot Media you need this (from the PDF that Dave posted)

1.Open a Command Prompt with Administrator priviliges in either Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8 Pro

2.Insert the target USB boot media device into an available USB port

3.Type DiskPart in the command prompt

4.Type List Disk, Make note of the disk number of the target USB drive

5.Type Select Disk X, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4

6.Type Clean

7.Type Create Partition Primary

8.Type format FS=fat32 quick

9.Type Active

10.Type Assign

11.Type list volume

12.Type Exit

I ordered the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter. I will let you know how it goes, if you have more information please share it.

Thank you

• 8. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
                        Rookie

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go at some point and let you know. I've currently got around the problem by using Microsoft's deployment tools, but we're getting some of the slightly newer Tablet2 devices in soon, so I'm definitely keen to stick with LDMS and keep everything in line.

• 9. Re: Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning
                          Apprentice

After dealing with a lot of things I finally was able to provision the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2

The PXE representative script have to have this two lines:

REMCOPY16=%DTMDIR%\landesk\vboot\bcd_ia32.dat, %LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\bcd_ia32, TOREMOTE

REMCOPY17=%DTMDIR%\landesk\vboot\bootia32.efi, %LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\bootia32.0, TOREMOTE

Make sure that in the PXE PC have this path

C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\IA32 EFI\UNDI\bstrap

I had to use the ThinkPad USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter (it does not work with another Ethernet Adapter)

Add the Tablet using the MAC address of the Ethernet Adapter to the "Bare Metal Server", schedule your template and drag and drop the Tablet created then start the task. Turn On your tablet (I use a USB Hub) press F12 and boot from network (Select IP4)

Capture.PNG

I hope it helps