6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 6:58 PM by JohnO

How to remove expired items from Noticeboard

Rookie

Hi,

Has anyone worked out how to delete expired items from the Noticeboard? I'm finding that they're starting to clog up the noticeboard admin area... but I can't see a way of deleting them (there's no option in the ticket, etc).

I need to delete some out to tidy up the area, and then will reuse existing ones to keep the numbers down!

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to remove expired items from Noticeboard
          Rookie

Apologies for the vague reply but I had this problem.

I found a way of deleting the entry when logged into console. That might be worth exploring.

• 2. Re: How to remove expired items from Noticeboard
            SupportEmployee

It is possible to expire them as well if needed, if you want to stop them being displayed.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22486

Calvin

• 3. Re: How to remove expired items from Noticeboard
              Rookie

I should've said - they're all expired and therefore not displaying to the public. I've got a few low level admin staff who I want to let update - but they're likely to be confused by the number of existing (old) threads you see.

mercer83 - did you do that via a query and a manual delete in Console? That's the only way I could think to do it; but I'm never comfortable deleting data in that way!

• 4. Re: How to remove expired items from Noticeboard
                Rookie

Hi goas.

Yes as far as I remember, that's what I did.

I'm not a bootcamp graduate so I achieve many things by fumbling and then have no idea what worked!

• 5. Re: How to remove expired items from Noticeboard
                  Invent.Joint.Account Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I personally found the article not entirely satisfying, so here's my solution:

For the hasty ones, here a filter on noticeboard items with "publish date" <= today <= Expiration Date". Later a bit of explanation:

(1) ExpDate NOT NULL

(2) PubDate NOT NULL

(3) ExpDate IS NULL

(4) PubDate IS NULL

(5) ExpDate WITHIN NEXT 100y

(6) PubDate OLDER 0min

(7) PubDate WITHIN PREVIOUS 30d

(8) CreDate WITHIN PREVIOUS 30d

(9) StickyNote IS 'True'

new boolean "StickyNote" (default: False),

if you want to have "sticky" items, that stay until you set it to 'False'

This is as optional as it gets

-- filter start

(1 AND 2 AND 5 AND 6)

OR (1 AND 4 AND 5)

OR (2 AND 3 AND 6 AND 7)

OR (3 AND 4 AND 8)

OR 9

-- filter end

Explanation

I encountered the issue myself and since I'm not a big fan of deleting anything in the database I made my self a query with a rather long filter (as follows).

The main problem with the filters for queries are the limitations given by the tool itself. You cannot (up to 7.8.2 at least) set a filter to "expiration date is NOT older than 0 minutes" to filter out entries that are passed the expiration date. You have to go by "expiration date is within the NEXT 99 years".

Apart from that there is the problem that expiration and publish date are not mandatory by default. So you'll have to filter out those nasty NULL-values.

So basically you have the following four cases to regard:

Expiration Date = ExpDate / Publish Date = PubDate / Creation Date = CreDate

1. ExpDate and PubDate NOT NULL

2. ExpDate NOT NULL / PubDate IS NULL

3. ExpDate IS NULL / PubDate NOT NULL

4. ExpDate and PubDate ARE NULL

Those four cases outline the filter we'll have to build. Our filter contatins of eight (nine) different values and we'll build our filter from those (commentary --):

(1) ExpDate NOT NULL

(2) PubDate NOT NULL

(3) ExpDate IS NULL

(4) PubDate IS NULL

(5) ExpDate WITHIN NEXT 99y

(6) PubDate OLDER 0min

(7) PubDate WITHIN PREVIOUS 30d *

(8) CreDate WITHIN PREVIOUS 30d *

(9) StickyNote IS 'True'

new boolean "StickyNote" (default: False),

if you want to have "sticky" items, that stay until you set it to 'False'

This is as optional as it gets

*) I let my Items only last to a maximum of 30 days if there is no ExpDate, if you want something else Lines 7 and 8 are the ones to change.

-- filter start

(1 AND 2 AND 5 AND 6)

-- there is an ExpDate (1) and we want it to be within the next 99 years (5) AND

-- there is a PubDate (3) and we want it to be older than 0 minutes (6)

OR (1 AND 4 AND 5)

-- there is an ExpDate (1) and we want it to be within the next 99 years (5) AND

-- there is no PubDate (4), we could fall back on the CreDate, which must be older than 0 minutes, but as it is automatically set, we can just leave it out of the filter

OR (2 AND 3 AND 6 AND 7)

-- there is a PubDate (2) and we make sure that it is older than 0 minutes (6)

-- as there is no ExpDate (3) we fall back on the PubDate and I set it to be within the previous 30 days

OR (3 AND 4 AND 8)

-- there is no ExpDate (3) and no PubDate (4), so wi fall back on the CreDate

-- we just check if the CreDate is within the previous 30 days, there is no need to check wether it is already active

OR 9

-- if our new boolean is 'True', this will be shown no matter what tho other dates say

-- filter end

I recommend to build the filter in the admin console. You just plug in the eight lines and if you have the same numbering, you just copy the following into the "Advanced Criteria Condition":

(1 AND 2 AND 5 AND 6) OR (1 AND 4 AND 5) OR (2 AND 3 AND 6 AND 7) OR (3 AND 4 AND 8) OR 9

This is far easier (I think) than setting up filters and sub-filters in WebDesk.

And you're done!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to remove expired items from Noticeboard
                    JohnO Apprentice

It worked for me!!!! Thank you!