3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 12:17 PM by nrasmussen

Errant "?" inserted into scans in TE on Thor VM1

Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

I have a Windows Embedded (XP flavor) Thor VM1 running the universal client of TelnetCE with the Link*One software being used as the scanner wedge. Using TE as the scanner wedge was not a viable option as "?"s were inserted in between every character when using a serial scanner.

Using Link*One has worked out great so far except for we are now running into a situation with TE inserts a "?" in scans of barcodes that contain hyphens. Outside of TE the barcode scans absolutley fine and even from a putty session to the same VT host the barcode scans fine. But in TE a "?" gets inserted.

How can this be removed? It seems to only be affecting Wavelink TE.

Sample barcode:

Barcode.JPG

Barcode scanning into Putty session (scan is after Tsk#) and Notepad. Notice no ? is inserted in either case:

2014-04-17 08_57_01-Greenshot.jpg

TE session with the ? inserted after the scan (after Task#):

2014-04-17 08_58_14-Greenshot.jpg

What's the deal?

• 1. Re: Errant "?" inserted into scans in TE on Thor VM1
          nrasmussen SupportEmployee

We have seen this issue before when using external scan wedge applications.  If you configure TE to open the Com port this shouldn't be seen.  See the following doc for details on how to do this.  http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-29822

Regards,
          Nick

• 2. Re: Errant "?" inserted into scans in TE on Thor VM1
            Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

Nick,

I am quite familiar with that solution as I actually came up with it and wrote that description myself. See the screenshot below of my email sent the day before that article was written. It is literally word for word.

wavelink.JPG

The issue with this setup is that occasional scans (1 out of 10 ish) will be entered into TelnetCE as incomplete. Meaning if I scan the same barcode repeatedly in this configuration about 1 out of 10 times it will be inputted into the field as incomplete, ie. missing several characters. This is true even of a code-128 barcode scan, which should never be sent as incomplete from a scanner, thereby point to TE or the COM configuration as the issue.

As a result we had to switch back to using the Link*One software which can handle the COM data on the VM1 a lot more solidly. Now TE only interprets the incoming scans as keyboard data. Our last outstanding issue now is this errant question mark that is only being inserted by TE, so I do not believe that the COM settings are the issue.

• 3. Re: Errant "?" inserted into scans in TE on Thor VM1
              nrasmussen SupportEmployee

External scan wedge programs are not supported.  If you would like to open a case against the scan issue when using the com port configuration we could look into this. 

Regards,

Nick