9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2008 9:53 AM by keos

WINPE OptiPlex 755

Apprentice

I must be doing something wrong, I've followed these articles to the letter without any success:

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/5119#5119

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2631

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/5330#5330

It is constantly failing with the message "Network adapter driver was not found".  Is there a log I can read to determine why this is failing?  Or check where it is checking for the driver?  I've also added drivers for the Marvell Yukon, it is also not working.

Im using  LDMS8.8, trying to boot WinPE

Please help...

• 1. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

1 - Try upgrading the BIOS. Bios updates include firmware fixes for LOM's (LAN On Motherboard) - your problem may not be helped by NIC Firmware problems.

2 - Are you adding ALL the driver files as additional files? I tend to find that works best.

3 - This comment from seems rather relevant.

INF File: e1e5132.inf

SYS File: e1e5132.sys

Then add EVERY other file from the driver's WinXP folder.

Hope this helps.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
            Apprentice

Thanks for the tip, phoffmann 

1. The computers have been updated to the lastest BIOS version, and can boot PXE via Linux (not LANDesk, but in prior setup)

2. I have added all the drivers to additional files section.

3. That very document was what I followed to try to get this to work.

Interestingly, though maybe related.  "PXE Representative cannot be installed on a DHCP Server, it can be done but requires advance configuration".  I don't have this document but do you know of the configuration mentioned?  Currently the PXE Rep is installed on our DHCP Server.

Just one more troubleshooting area to try and resolve this.

• 3. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
              Apprentice

Keos,

These are the drivers that I use for our 755's. Hopefully this helps

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R162313&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_755&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=11541&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=217447

Remember to re-deploy your pxe rep after you make the change to the WinPE image too.

• 4. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
                Apprentice

Oh.

I did not redeploy pxe rep, I didn't think I needed to do that.  I will try that and rspond to this thread.

• 5. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
                  Apprentice

That OptiPlex 755 was on loan and has since returned back to Dell.

I'm on a different project now, but trying to accomplish the same thing.  I received a PowerEdge T300 and is in need to provision this server, or imaging.  Provisioning seems to be the better choice for future modification.  This server has Broadcom NetXtreme, this driver include in the default LANDesk 8.8 WinPE image.  I have also verified the driver downloaded from Dell and it supports from BCM5700 to BCM5702.  This server does PXE boot and WinPE does load but I get the usual message, "The network adapter driver was not found"

In prior PXE method (DOS) I was able to execute a program that listed the PCI devices and from that determine which driver and name to use to enable the card.  In WinPE is there a similar method to view the PCI devices?  Also could it be possible the returned device name is not matching the driver name, eg.

Returned Name: Broadcom

Supported Devices:

%BCM5700%           =  BCM5700CX.XpInst,         PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&REV_21

%BCM5700%           =  BCM5700CX.XpInst,         PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&REV_22

%BCM5700%           =  BCM5700.XpInst,           PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644

%BCM5700FA%         =  BCM5700FA.XpInst,         PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&SUBSYS_000314e4

%BCM5700FB%         =  BCM5700FB.XpInst,         PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&SUBSYS_000214e4

%BCM5701%           =  BCM5701G.XpInst,          PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1645

%BCM5701FA%         =  BCM5701FA.XpInst,         PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1645&SUBSYS_000714e4

%BCM5702%           =  BCM5702.XpInst,           PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1646

%BCM5702%           =  BCM5702.XpInst,           PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_16a6

%BCM5702%           =  BCM5702.XpInst,           PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_16C6

So it is not sure which driver to use, I encountered this problem in DOS.  Can I view 
                  CORESERVER\ldmain\landesk\vboot\ldvpe1.img and determine where the driver are being pulled from and it's names?

Please help, desperate.

• 6. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
                    ahe Expert

Hello keos,

did you try the tool devcon: "The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager"

(ok, it's only a idea, I haven't tested it with WinPE...)

Another idea is to check the hardware with VBScript. You can add VBScript in the PE image and check with WMI queries the hardware id's.

(You can find the drivers and their INF files in the PE image: ..\i386\inf and ...\i386\drivers)

Regards

Axel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

That NIC detection tool is still around - it's NICINFO.EXE

But it doesn't help for WinPE - unless you want to hack the INF-files on your own, but then you really are on your own with that.

Just because we have a driver for "Model X" of a NIC, doesn't mean that it'll work in every cases. OEM's do notoriously change stuff - it may be harmless things like just changing PCI ID's, but in other cases it's stuff so large that a driver will flat out not work, and you need to get the driver from the OEM.

Try using Dell's driver - it ought to work. If it doesn't, then they really should provide one that does :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 8. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
                        Apprentice

Thank you ahe for the info:

I've opened the ldvpe1.img and viewed the files under \i386\inf, inf files that are reference in WinPE are in there.  I cannot find the folder \i386\drivers, I'm I missing something?  Is this the reason when WinPE loads it never load the actual drivers, simply because the actual driver files don't exist.  Or is the inf enough to get the nic working?

This is the original file that was provided by LDMS 8.8 install.

• 9. Re: WINPE OptiPlex 755
                          Apprentice

OK

Remove Broadcom driver from default WinPE image, added my own driver downladed from DELL.  Removed PXE REP, redeploy PXE REP, now server is booting up.

Now need to get Provisioning templet to work flawlessly...

Sorry for sounding like a noob, actually I'm new to this so the noob title isn't wrong :P

Thank you all for your suggestions.