11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 10:25 AM by Cedric FRANCOIS

OSD failed on sdcllient command

Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

Hello,

My OSD process often failed on sdclient reason for no reason apparently and the reports don't help me.

Is it possible to have more explicit error message to understand why it fails

Here is example :

Failed  12/06/2008 15:27:36  0:00:02  sdclient /f /o /dest="X:\LDClient\diskinfo.exe" /p="http://192.168.1.5/landesk/files/diskinfo.exe", STATUS

or

Failed  12/06/2008 16:05:32  0:00:01  sdclient /f /o /dest="C:\sysprep\sysprep.inf" /p="http://192.168.1.5/landesk/files/Windows_XP_SP2.inf", STATUS

• 1. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

I would suggest looking at the IIS log on the server you're trying to download from (i.e. - 192.168.1.5).

Could well be that IIS gave the respective system the finger for that request (maybe it's under a lot of load at the time), and you can usually figure out from the status code in the IIS log where you need to look at.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

Hello,

Thanks for your help and sorry for my late :

Here is the ISS log  when it failed on sdclient diskinfo command

"2008-06-24 14:37:04 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 HEAD /landesk/files/diskinfo.exe - 80 - 192.168.0.87 - 200 0 0

2008-06-24 14:37:04 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 GET /landesk/files/diskinfo.exe - 80 - 192.168.0.87 Mozilla/4.0(Win32;I) 206 0 0

2008-06-24 14:37:04 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 GET /landesk/files/diskinfo.exe - 80 - 192.168.0.87 Mozilla/4.0(Win32;I) 206 0 0"

It's in the middle of a lot of  "GET /ldlogon/agentwatcher/AgentWatcherSettings_AgentWatchrSettings.ini" command (10 per minute i think ...)

• 3. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

Hello,

Can someone tell me if it's normal to get so  much

"GET /ldlogon/agentwatcher/AgentWatcherSettings_AgentWatchrSettings.ini" command

and if not, if it's possible it causes my sdclient to fail ...

Regards

• 4. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

Agent Watcher has nothing to do with OSD.

And it's a bit hard to say how much is "much" since you've not given a log, not said how many clients you have or anything.

It's theoretically possible that a constant stream of other requests to IIS will cause IIS problems (i.e. - it's got too much to do, and requests time out).

But you should see so either way on the SDCLIENT commands - they should be picked up, and you should see the appropriate exit code in the IIS log (i.e - timed out, or 503 and such like). If that's the case, you may need to fiddle with your Application Pools and IIS configuration some - and hope that you've got a few CPU's or at least decent amount of memory on your Core.

But without any information it's really not possible to say much of anything here.

Paul Hoffmann

• 5. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

Hello,

About my config : 300 clients, Core server Xeon 2.4GHz / 2 Go of memory

I send you a part of my log, but i send you the whole of it, but in IIS log there is no exit code as you can see

In the log the failed sdclient command happens at 2008-07-02 07:56:24 but i don't see exit code in ...

• 6. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

General note when attaching files.

PLEASE zip them up first.

Especially text-files ... they compress to a ratio of 10:1 ... it saves you time to upload, saves us time to download. Win-win.

Paul Hoffmann

• 7. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

So - a couple of things.

1 - IIS logs in GMT, so if you're in France and it's summer, you need to reduce the hour-count by 2 from what's in the LANDesk log-file (since that uses system time).

So in your case, your events would be happening around 07:55 -ish.

2 - as per the log-file we have the following (which is OK in your script):

2008-07-02 07:56:13 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 GET /landesk/files/diskinfo.exe - 80 - 192.168.0.96 Mozilla/4.0+(Win32;+I) 206 0 0

2008-07-02 07:56:13 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 GET /landesk/files/diskinfo.exe - 80 - 192.168.0.96 Mozilla/4.0+(Win32;+I) 206 0 0

2008-07-02 07:56:14 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 HEAD /landesk/files/assvol.txt - 80 - 192.168.0.96 - 200 0 0

2008-07-02 07:56:14 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 GET /landesk/files/assvol.txt - 80 - 192.168.0.96 Mozilla/4.0+(Win32;+I) 206 0 0

2008-07-02 07:56:14 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 GET /landesk/files/assvol.txt - 80 - 192.168.0.96 Mozilla/4.0+(Win32;+I) 206 0 0

So far so good.

I'm a bit curious why it takes 21 seconds to download DISKINFO.EXE (which isn't exactly big with its 72 KB...) ... makes me think you've either got a really flaky network driver that's running @ 10 MBit with half duplex (and even then it's a push), or your Core is plenty busy...

3 - Then we get to the interesting part:

2008-07-02 07:56:24 W3SVC1 192.168.1.5 HEAD /landesk/files/Windows_XP_SP2.inf - 80 - 192.168.0.96 - 200 0 0

the statuscode of 200 should say "all OK", but the client is failing, which is interesting (your client is IP 192.168.0.96 at this point) .

What I would recommend is that you boot into WINPE and just try to launch the command via command-line - see what you get back.

So:

3.1 - Boot into WinPE (WinPE Managed boot, if you want).

3.2 - Open up a command prompt

3.3 - Run the following command:

""

sdclient /f /o /dest="X:\LDClient\diskinfo.exe" /p="http://192.168.1.5/landesk/files/diskinfo.exe"

""

See what it says.

It's POSSIBLE that that specific application pool is on the fritz and running "iisreset" fixes it this time. (this is why running it through command line is helpful) If that's the problem, an iisreset will fix it, but I doubt it.

It's more likely that you're running into a permissions issue - you'll be able to monitor that far better by running FILEMON on the Core (filter just for the directory where the INI is at) and you'll see if you've got problems there. MOST likely that's where you're running against the wall.

And don't ask me why - because you may have a permissions problem - IIS still gives you a code 200. I've seen it before, and wasn't quite able to figure out why IIS thinks "everything is fine" when clearly it isn't. Just one of those things that one can't trust blindly :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technilcal Lead.

• 8. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command
                        ThomasCollignon Apprentice

Hi,

I met the problem this morning and I made an observation:

After the deployment of my image, the available size on X: is 0 bits, therefore, impossible to find a place for copy 'diskinfo.exe'.

For whatever reason, the file 'X:\i386\setupapi.log' is supplied during the restoration of the second partition.

Between the beginning of the copy and the end of the copy, free space from 16MB to 6Mb.

Increases therefore the size of your image PE ...

• 9. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command
                          Apprentice

I've seen this behaviour with several seperate cores.  It seems that the setupapi.log file (located in x:\i386) is constantly updating during an image deployment (all tests I've run have been with imagew).  This is happening to the extent that it is completely filling the x: drive.  Then, the next line in the osd script that runs after imagew is an sdclient file transfer to x:, which obviously fails as there is no space for it.  As I understand it, the setupapi.log is used to record hardware driver changes/installations, and sure enough, there seems to be a repeated (and unsuccessful) attempt at installing a driver being recorded in there.

An additional side affect of this behaviour is about a 100% increase in the time taken for imagew to run. 

I've attached an example of one of these oversized log files should anyone care to take a look.  Ordinarily this file is only a few k - the one I've attached when unzipped is around 12Mb!  I'll carry on testing and probably end up logging this with support but it would be interesting to see how many cases of this type of behaviour can be attributed to this issue...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

Hello,

sorry for my late answer but my problem seems so be link to x: free disk space.

I have just add 10Mb to my WinPE image and the osd process over sdclient, the imagew process more quickly, and the setupapi.log "only" take 4Mb, while it was taking 5Mb when the WinPE only has 5Mb free ...

I don't understand why with more freespace imagew take less time to run (5 minutes vs 15) and what causes so much log ...

• 11. Re: OSD failed on sdcllient command

here is the lines that are repeated in the setupapi.log all along the install process :

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
                              #I123 Doing full install of "STORAGE\VOLUME\1&30A96598&0&SIGNATURECB81CB81OFFSET4E22CEC00LENGTH46D7E1000".
                              #-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [volume_install.NTx86.Services].
                              #W267 Controlling Service: Failed to generate tag for service "volsnap". Error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
                              #I121 Device install of "STORAGE\VOLUME\1&30A96598&0&SIGNATURECB81CB81OFFSET4E22CEC00LENGTH46D7E1000" finished successfully.
                              [2009/01/27 16:59:14 264.1223 Driver Install]
                              #-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): storage\volume
                              #-198 Command line processed: X:\i386\system32\services.exe -setup
                              #I022 Found "STORAGE\Volume" in X:\i386\inf\volume.inf; Device: "Generic volume"; Driver: "Generic volume"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "Microsoft"; Section name: "volume_install".
                              #I023 Actual install section: [volume_install.NTx86]. Rank: 0x00000000. Driver date: 10/01/2002. Version: 5.2.3790.1830.
                              #-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
                              #I063 Selected driver installs from section [volume_install] in "x:\i386\inf\volume.inf".
                              #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}.
                              #I060 Set selected driver.
                              #I058 Selected best compatible driver.
                              #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
                              #I124 Doing copy-only install of "STORAGE\VOLUME\1&30A96598&0&SIGNATURECB81CB81OFFSET4E22CEC00LENGTH46D7E1000".
                              #-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
                              #I056 Coinstallers registered.
                              #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
                              #-011 Installing section [volume_install.NTx86.Interfaces] from "x:\i386\inf\volume.inf".
                              #I054 Interfaces installed.

any idea ?