8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2008 3:46 PM by bcmenge

Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's

Rookie

I am pretty new to this, having taken over for another person who is no longer with our group. I am pretty much a strictly Dell shop. We run GX 150, 260, 270, 280, 620, 745 and 755's.  My problems are with SX 270's and 280's everything seems set the same  but when I run the basic image, it looks like it all goes through but ends with " No boot device available".  I cannot find any drivers I need to add, any help will be appreciated

• 1. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
          Leon SupportEmployee

According to your description it seems the imaging tool ran and finished without any error. When booting the machine got error "No boot device available". Are you using PXE boot to image the device? When the image tool ran did it just splash and disappear quickly?

• 2. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
            Apprentice

If this is when you're trying to initiate PXE, I suspect I know what the issue you're having is but need more information.  When you say "everything goes through ok", are you meaning that the system boots to PXE ok, connects to the core, completes the image and then tanks when it tries to boot to the operating system?

• What PXE preboot environment are you using?

• Does the imaging process actually complete?

• Does this work for the other Dell models?

• What version of LANDesk are you running?

• When you're trying to reimage the machine, is there a bootable operating system on the hard disk beforehand?

~DT

• 3. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
              Rookie

here are the answers to the best of my knowledge

Landesk 8.8

yes the hard drive worked fine before- same results on multiple machines

all other Dell models that I listed work great

I do believe the imaging process does compleate and then on reboot cannot find hard drive

I get to the F8 button, go to WINPE, screen that says loading Ramdisk image for about 5 mins, then choose our image runs about another 15-20 minutes installing. then reboots and dies

• 4. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
                ahe Expert

Hello,

did you check the BIOS settings of the clients?

We've to change some settings in BIOS from time to time to use our installation (from AHCI to ATA and back from ATA to AHCI...).

It differs between the Dell models... (I can't check the SX types, because we don't have some, but I know this problem  for Optiplex 330)

Regards

Axel

• 5. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yeah - the general description sounds like a problem of needing the right storage driver / not being able to talk to the hard drive.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 6. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
                    Rookie

I agree it looks like a Storage driver, and that is what I tried to find, but I go out on the dell support site and all it has for Storage drivers is one "Maxtor Utility";  when I open the executable, it gives me: mcdl_win.dll, NoDoze.exe, and Version.txt.  It is not as true driver, so I do not see a txtsetup.oem. I do not think this will help me and if it will I am not sure how to install it.

• 7. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

I would suggest contacting Dell support - it's possible that they don't have the driver publically available or something like that (happens at times).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 8. Re: Can not push image to Dell SX270's or SX280's
                        Rookie

no help from Dell, they say there are not any more drivers for the sx280 SATA drive. he had me go through all the BIOS settings. The only options for the SATA operation are Normal or Combination,  tried both of those. Dell kept telling me there must be a problem with the hard drive. I have tried 4-5 differant machines all with the same result. I am afraid it is just something stupid I have done.  Has anyone out there sucessfully imaged a SX280?