7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 6:08 AM by RSteele77

Cloning a machine with agent installed...

Apprentice

When cloning a client with the agent installed, what, if any identifying files would need to be removed?  I.E. - GUIDs in registry, index.dat possibly?

• 1. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
          Fabian Schmidt Expert

Perhaps it is easier to uninstall the agent before cloning and reinstall afterwards.

What's the business case for you, why you want to clone a mashine with an agent installed?

• 2. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
            Apprentice

I wasn't given any specifics as to why we are cloning with an agent installed.  But I have been told it has been done in the past, and I don't think I'll get away with telling my boss to just uninstall the agent.  I'm sure he has thought of that, and there must be a reason as to why he wants to clone with an agent.

• 3. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
              JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

Well I would recommend uninstalling the agent then letting provisioning install the agent but if you must clone here is a script we used to use:

set CWD=%~d0%~p0
              cls
              C:
              CD %CWD%

ECHO Stop LANDESK Services
              net stop "LANDesk Policy Invoker" /yes
              ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

net stop CBA8 /yes
              ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

net stop ISSUSER /yes
              ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

net stop "LANDesk Targeted Multicast" /yes
              ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

ECHO Deleting LANDesk Directory
              IF EXIST C:\ProgramData (

RMDIR C:\ProgramData\LANDesk /S /Q
                   ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%
              ) else (
                   RMDIR "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk" /S /Q
                   ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%
                   )

ECHO Deleting Registry Common API for LD Agents
              IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)" (
                   ECHO Deleting Common APIs for new agents 64bit

C:\Windows\System32\Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Common Api" /f

C:\Windows\System32\Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Common Api" /f
                   C:\Windows\System32\Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\LANDesk\Common Api" /f
                   C:\Windows\System32\Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LANDesk\Common Api" /f
                   ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

) else (
                   ECHO Deleting Common APIs for new agents 32bit
                   C:\Windows\System32\Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Common Api" /f
                   C:\Windows\System32\Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Common Api" /f
                   ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%
                   )

EXIT /B %ERRORLEVEL%

• 4. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
                Apprentice

I believe this may be a project in which we will not use LANDesk provisioning to deploy the cloned image.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's why I'm being asked to find out how to do so.

• 5. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
                  Fabian Schmidt Expert

If this is not a very high priority, than I suggest, wait for the next release There will be some nice new features and probably one of them will fullfill exactly what you need for cloning mashines.

Regards

Fabian

• 6. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
                    Jason SupportEmployee

This Article should explain what you need to do in your current version of LDMS.

How to image devices with a LANDESK Agent installed

The comment a few post above has created a script to help you with this. I would echo his statement of I would just uninstall the agent then install it at the end of the imaging job, otherwise you will have to reinstall the agent or push any and all patches that have been installed to the core server since the image was created to have a full updated agent, and additional step prior to getting the system back into production.

Jason

• 7. Re: Cloning a machine with agent installed...
                      Apprentice

Perfect!  Thank you Jason and Joe.  That's the article we were looking for.

I had to modify the script slightly to reflect our need for a WIN 7/64 machine versus XP, but we have what we needed.