2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2008 6:12 PM by rfdswa

Devices losing inventory information periodically

We're using LDM 8.8 and I've noticed that after a period of time if the PC hasn't been powered up or connected to the network (in the case of laptops in the field) information in the Console under "All Devices" will 'drop off'. Another words you  can see the device listed but information such as "Type, "OS Name" (and other custom fields) are all blank.

Now when the device returns to the network and when you try to run a Inventory Scan from the Console you get the following error message;

"The system cannot find the path specified"

I can clear this of course by manually running the LDISCN32.EXE /F /V /L /SYNC command at the local PC but this is now turning into quite a chore. Does anyone know why this is happening and how it can be fixed?

• 1. Re: Devices losing inventory information periodically
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

1 - On the Core Server, go to...

2 - Go to the INVENTORY-tab.

3 - Look for the field "Days to keep Inventory Scans".

By default this value is 0 - which means "keep inventory scans forever". Now - you've got some value in here. Let's say it's "10" ... this would mean that, if a Core Server doesn't get an inventory scan from a device at least every 10 days, this device will be deleted during LANDesk Maintenance (run at 23:00 by default every day).

You probably have set this quite low - my recommendation (if you already MUST use this at all) is to set this to at least 90, to ensure that it's not going to affect PC's which need to be repaired / whose owners have gone on holiday for 2 weeks and so on.

When the devices then poewr up (once they're deleted) they send in a mini-scan (which is pretty much a "this is my network information only" scan) - and any delta scan would be rejected because it doesn't match up with what's in the DB. So you need to think this through a bit more for your environment.

The other problem is related. If you go into a device's inventory, you'll see Client Path.

This "Client Path" indicates the directory where LANDesk is installed and is used as a variable in several actions (to be substituted at runtime with the real value). Since your clients' inventory is gone, you do not have this value.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Devices losing inventory information periodically

Thanks Paul,

You were right in that our Inventory information was set to 30 days which is too low. We've reviewed our setup and modified this accordingly. And of course with the devices that have dropped off the client path no longer exists.

Now all we have to do is figure out the easiest way to get the devices back in.

Thanks for the assist.