11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 7:53 AM by Jlmason

Delete support group

Apprentice

We are using LDSD 7.7.1.  We have a test and a live environment.  We do not backup prod and restore to test make the changes and then do a test to live sync. We currently make all of our changes in test and then use test to live to sync the changes.  We have a request to remove a support group that is no longer needed.  I want to do a soft delete in case they change their mind down the road.  I will be going through both systems to ensure that there are no active tickets associated with this group and if they are reassigning the tickets.  Once that has been completed, if I remove the support group in test and then do a test to live sync will I get an error message or will the test to live sync complete ok?  Or is there a better practice to follow for deleting support groups?

• 1. Re: Delete support group
          Apprentice

Hi,

I don't think that with T2L, this sync can be done because if there are tickets (or reminders, attachments, users...related to this Support Group) in live environment which still affected to this support Group, deleting the support group will fails !)

why you don't not use a soft delete ? I think that is a recommended action.

At least, you can do it by a sql script by covering all existing related objects;

Regards,

• 2. Re: Delete support group
            Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

If there are any associated items attached to this group, it's possible you will get an error when running the sync.  If you do this, I would advise on having a close back up of your production.  Then prior to the sync, make sure your Inbound mail service is STOPPED so that it does not process your Inboxes.  This way, if you have to restore you don't potentially miss tickets.

Another option would be to set up a boolean on Support Groups for "Inactive" and then write a filter on your Incident --> Assignments objects that shows all groups EXCEPT where Inactive is true. 

• 3. Re: Delete support group
              Apprentice

Jamie, this is great, pretty much what I need.

I am however having issues with the filter, do you have any further details on how to get this to work as I need (which is to hide the inactive Support Group.)

Thanks

Adam

• 4. Re: Delete support group
                Expert

Use the "IS one of" in your criteria and then add all of the departments you want your people to see in the drop down.  I have all kinds of departments we don't use so I do this all the time.

• 5. Re: Delete support group
                  Apprentice

Can you explain this further to a rookie LDSD Admin?  I have a support group that I want to HIDE, not delete.  I don't want to have to reassign the 2000 closed tickets to another group but I don't want all of the Analyst to see it in the drop down. 

I would still like to see it as Admin in case I need to search for old tickets by that group and I don't want it to mess with my reporting.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am using v.2016.4  Thank you,

• 6. Re: Delete support group
                    Darren.Bradshaw Expert

Have you seen the post from Jamie above.

"Another option would be to set up a boolean on Support Groups for "Inactive" and then write a filter on your Incident --> Assignments objects that shows all groups EXCEPT where Inactive is true."jcannon

Darren

• 7. Re: Delete support group
                      Apprentice

Thank you for replying Darren.  Can you send me in the direction of how to set up a Boolean on support groups?  Thank you

• 8. Re: Delete support group
                        Darren.Bradshaw Expert

Here is a quick walk through from the top of my head.

Open Object Designer, navigate down to and expand System.

Double click on Group (we added it here so we could use it on all groups).  Add a new Boolean attribute (we called it inactive), default value false, is mandatory, back-fill as false and save.

Navigate to Process Management - Process Assignment, click on Group, then click on filter selectors from the details window.

You may have a filter already set, if so open Query Designer and Open that filter.

If you don't then you will need to create a new filter, and add in the Title from the attributes, on the filter.

In the criteria part of the filter Drag the new attribute "Inactive"into the criteria, and set it Equal False.  Then save

Add the new attribute onto your support group window so you can set it.

Now any support group where this field is set a true, it should be hidden from analyst. 

One thing to take into consideration, is if you have assignment set in a process or via categories etc, and you make these inactive, you will need to update those areas.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Delete support group
                          Apprentice

Thank you Darren,

This was extremely helpful.  I really appreciate it.

• 10. Re: Delete support group
                            Darren.Bradshaw Expert

No problem. Did you get it sorted?

• 11. Re: Delete support group
                              Apprentice

Yes I did.  I didn't actually end up making it inactive.  For different reasons that came down from leadership but more importantly I learned how to do it for next time.  Thank you so much.