3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 10:29 AM by DaveE

Microsoft SQL Server Licensing clarification

Flow Rookie

Hello,

Regarding this article about MS SQL Licensing:

Microsoft SQL Server Licensing

I have couple of questions :

• What type of Account to we need ? Is this local account / domain account ?
      • With which type of privilegies ? I'm quite concerned to give full access to an account "only" for that.
      • Is there any chance to have multiple Discovery Services with multiple Servers / IP and multiple credentials associate ?

As lots of company, we have pretty strict security rules which doesn't allow us to use one account with admin right for all servers.

Have a nice day,

• 1. Re: Microsoft SQL Server Licensing clarification
          SupportEmployee

Since the account needs to talk to WMI on the SQL Server, it must have local admin rights to the SQL Server, that is just a requirement of WMI.  You can put as many different logins into one configuration as you would like, it will simply try them in sequence.  You can also put as many different addresses into config.  However, there is the SQL Server query you can use that should grab all machines that might have SQL Server installed.

• 2. Re: Microsoft SQL Server Licensing clarification
            Flow Rookie

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your answer.

That's make sense to me for sure but I'm surprise that installed agent cannot handle that by itself.

It create a huge breach of security from our security officer.

Is there any possibility to use mssql command instead to limit user privileges ?

• 3. Re: Microsoft SQL Server Licensing clarification
              SupportEmployee

That is a great idea.  Right now discovery services only does WMI and SNMP, but we are looking at adding other discovery features.  The one challenge is knowing the instance to attempt to connect to.  The WMI method will gather the info regardless of instance name, while if you are going to connect you would need to know the port and instance names, which people would have to configure on a per server basis....