7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 4:13 PM by PBRENNAN

Detach child incident as an auto action

Mariusz.Maniak Expert

Hi,

I was asked to check if it is possible to create "Duplicate Incident" action. All seems ok, - I can use "create child" to create new incident, then I'd like to detach child from parent to have them separated (to prevent resolving new one, when parent is resolved)

I'm trying to use auto action "detach child" but getting error message: "Error calling buissnes function. Buissnes function DetachChildIncident class type incidentManagement was called without proper object."

Is it possible to use "detach child" as an auto action? If yes, how to do it?

• 1. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
          Expert

Hi

Here is a quick idea but I would test fully first.

In Object Designer drag Incident on to itself and say yet to create a collection.

Once the collection is created highlight "Incident collection" and click on the manage actions and add a new action call it "clone"

in the process add the action (auto action) into the correct place for you and then double click on the action to populate the window with  "Value Types" from the current incident.

This should create a clone incident.

Once again this is something I would recommend fully testing first.

Thanks

Paul

• 2. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
            ITSMMVPGroup

I have a feeling the answer is no as there isn't an interface to be able to specify which of the several potential child processes you want to detach

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
              Expert

Hi

As stated above the reason it does not work in the manner you are trying is because you are not specifying which child you want to detach. If the action is used as a manual action you will notice a window will appear and you select the link you want to remove.  The linking is coming from the incident-incident table .  As you just want a duplicate / clone an incident my first reply should help you on the way to get the functionality you require, but as this is design work we would always recommend fully testing on a test environment and making sure you have full backup of the DB before.

Thanks

Paul

• 4. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
                Mariusz.Maniak Expert

Paul,

Thanks for Your solution - it works

BTW - maybe ability to parametrize auto actions (ie. by calculations) is a good idea to implement in next release?

• 5. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
                  Expert

Almost three years later but I just wanted to add that we're now running across the limitation of not being able to automatically detach problems from an incident and this is going to cause extra work for our analysts. Rather disappointing :\

• 6. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
                    PBRENNAN Employee

It is actually possible to do this.

You need a new collection with a problem drop down.  Filtered to show Problems attached to the Incident.

Another new collection, configured as a Web Service object, pointing to Event Manager.

Add manual action to your process for the first collection.

Auto action for the Web Service collection which gets values for the mappings in Event Manager.

Inbound Integration Process Source in Event Manager. Configured to do the Detach Problem action on Incident.  Map Problem ID and Incident ID as string attributes from Event Manager parameters.

• 7. Re: Detach child incident as an auto action
                      PBRENNAN Employee

The demo I used to send the screenshots took just less than an hour to setup.  If I can give any more help I am really happy to.  Let me know if you are trying to set this up and need any more info. P.