1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 10:28 AM by larfun

Monitoring a desktop shortcut

Rookie

Is there a way to utilize the Software Monitoring module to monitor a desktop shortcut? It is saved by default to Users\Public\Desktop to make it available to all users on each computer that it is located on, which is ~200 computers. It is a shortcut to an executable on a server from which the users run the app.

C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop\<app>.lnk

- Properties of the shortcut reference a path on a server.

The application only allows a certain number of systems to be registered to the application. It will also help us to determine when there are updates, what systems need to be touched to update the path on the shortcut, if needed.

• 1. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
          larfun Apprentice

If the shortcut were placed with the LaunchPad Link Manager via a Policy delivery method, if it ever got deleted on the next policy sync, it would be put back. Is that what you are looking to do?

• 2. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
            Rookie

The shortcut is there via the image, and occasionally there are changes made to the source file (name)/path for the link, so if I had a way to query what systems on the network had the link installed, it would be easier to manage any changes that may get made to the source. Not all systems on the network have this shortcut, so any changes cannot be pushed out globally.

• 3. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
              larfun Apprentice

What about a query for the EXE in Computer.Software.Package ?

• 4. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                Rookie

The executable is on a server, not on the system itself.

• 5. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                  larfun Apprentice

If I understand correctly, LANDesk inventory scans all shortcuts looking for one pointing to an EXE, shouldn't matter where the EXE resides.

• 6. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

LANDESK does not report exes that are located on shares, so while it will see the shortcut and follow it, data about the exe and usage will not get returned. (unless something has changed and I haven't noticed).

If you need to see usage information about exe's like this, our plug-in State Management can run and show current and historical information about executable usage by device/user. If this could be of use take a look at our website to learn more.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 7. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                      larfun Apprentice

I did not know that. Just assumed that it would report on it. Thanks for the info.

• 8. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                        Rookie

It's not so much that I need to report usage, though that would be helpful. I need to be able to monitor on what systems the shortcut is on as only "X" number of systems are allowed to use the software.

Each system that uses the software has to be registered, and the # of systems is monitored by the vendor. In being able to monitor what systems have the shortcut on their desktop, we can:

1. Better monitor what systems have it in order to better control the licensing cost.

2. To know what systems do have the shortcut in case there are any changes that need to be done to the source path of the shortcut.

• 9. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

That makes sense. There's the old saying when someone asks for directions, "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here!"

As the link is already deployed, if it has a standard naming convention, then you could add .lnk as a file extension for LANDESK Inventory scanning and add the name of the link as the file to scan. This would only work if the name of the link is exactly the same in all cases.

The 'don't start from here' comment is about delivering the link in a manageable way. You could use the LANDESK Portal as a way of providing a link and train users that they would only ever find the link in the portal. This way who/what gets it is completely controlled. The difficulty right now is that you are playing catch-up with an unmanaged way of publishing the app.

Quick question, if the link points to a network share, would I be right in assuming that rights to that share are controlled by one or more groups? Would it be better to measure access to the app by the group that controls access, rather than the shortcut? You cpuld then look at the group membership of the primary owner in the inventory to measure numbers that have access.

Mark McGinn

• 10. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                            Rookie

Unfortunately access to that share is global. Thankfully the naming convention for the link is universal, so that will help immensely.

How would I add .lnk to the inventory scanning?

(Thank you for the ray of hope!)

• 11. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I'll get the pessimistic part out of the way first. If you are wanting to be compliant, but in theory everybody can access that share, then also in theory everybody may need a license for it. You need to be careful about how your vendor would classify this. The link is not secureing it, the link is only enabling access, but if someone knew where to go they could make their own link and use it without being monitored/controlled.

As far as scanning is concerned, exactly how you do this depends on your version. I'm going to assume pre-9.6. On your core server in the managementsuite\ldlogon folder is a file called ldappl.template; this controls the scanner behaviour. IN here you will find a 'scanextensions' line and you would add the .lnk as one of the extensions and then save the file. By itself this does nothing.

In the LANDESK Console under the Reporting/Monitoring section you will have a 'Manage Software List' item. Open this and you can add into the Files - To Be Scanned section. Add the name of the file and set a size of zero zero one (001). This sets a wildacard search so should pick up any link with the name you give. The rest of the fields will describe it once found.

When done, click, the 'Make Available to Clients' icon in the toolbar of this module. This will now make the updated configuration file available to clients to start using. You might want to force a software scan on a few clients via the right-click options (I prefer Full Sync Scan) to see if it will then start to return the information you need.

Mark McGinn

• 12. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                                Rookie

On the bright side, though access to the share is global, the shortcuts on the desktop are not, thus the need to have the ability to monitor who has it. I work for a company whose vast majority of its staff are still technologically phobic, so the fear of most of them accessing anything they shouldn't generally paralyzes them.

I went through the process as you described. I was able to successfully add the .LNK extension to the template file. I then went into Reporting/Monitoring>Manage Software List>Files>To be scanned, clicked on the green + and entered the information accordingly. After clicking ok, nothing showed in the "To be scanned" window to the right, but regardless, I had clicked on the "Make Available to Clients" button, then proceeded to do an inventory on one of the systems that I know have the LNK on their system. The inventory did not produce that item. I am a bit concerned at the fact that after creating the criteria for the LNK file that it did not show up in the right pane.

• 13. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Make sure that the line you added .LNK to was not the commented out line. There is normally one that just has .exe and then an example one (commented out) that lists a lot more. Make sure you add it after the .exe only line.

I just tested on my kit and it is successfully finding a file called test.lnk on my desktop. Also, it can be hard to find in the doftwre list sometimes. It is shown under Software - Package in the tree and it will start with whatever you added as the vendor name. There is no search in this bit, one gets added in 9.6.

Mark McGinn

• 14. Re: Monitoring a desktop shortcut
                                    Rookie

ManageSoftware.JPG

Am I in the wrong location?

1 2 Previous Next