3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 3:53 PM by jaericho

Can't install AV over McAfee w/o a reboot?

jaericho Apprentice

We are currently using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 and I'm trying to test LDAV. (The core is LDMS 9.5SP2) The removal of McAfee seems to go well, but the Kaspersky install fails (with error 0x8d804d11). I need to reboot the client, then push out the install task again before it is successful. Obviously this leaves my client w/o AV. If the task could reboot and try again, perhaps it would be sucessful, but so far I need to do it manually.

I tried the skip product check as found in DOC-29203. I tried just putting in pSKIPPRODUCTCHECK=1 and left out pSKIPPRODUCTUNINSTALL=1 as the uninstall appears to be working well. But that didn't help.

Having to manually restart the task a second time isn't going to work. Should I try to push an agent w/AV instead? Do I have any options?

• 1. Re: Can't install AV over McAfee w/o a reboot?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I've always preferred to add AV afterwards, Doing it with the agent is really only suited for when you do a new machine.

See what happens when you push it out later, not through agent config though, do it using the agent setting options as in the screenshot below.

InstallSecComp.png

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 2. Re: Can't install AV over McAfee w/o a reboot?
            jaericho Apprentice

Because this is a trial period I am pushing the AV out to test machines afterwards and using the method in your screenshot. I thought maybe pushing it out with an agent might be better, but the agent install just fails too. I tried installing the AV via the agent install on a freshly imaged machine and it works. So the agent failing must be because of McAfee.

I have also tried relaxing the McAfee security. I set McAfee to allow the McAfee processes to be stopped, but that did not seem to help.

• 3. Re: Can't install AV over McAfee w/o a reboot?
              jaericho Apprentice

When I create a scheduled task from the Install/Update security components I notice that it's running a script with vulscan.exe

Capture.PNG

I think I should be able to use this. I've created a batch script to remove McAfee from the command line. If I could then schedule this to run on the next boot then have the batch script trigger a reboot then it would work.

I've tried putting it in the RunOnce registry section but it won't launch. I think I need something to run the command when the user logs into the desktop versus the machine booting up. Is there anything like that?

I'm trying to minimize the time when my clients don't have AV installed and to make sure that all my clients get AV reliably.