4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 1:54 AM by Nay

mobile access and pass through authentication

Apprentice

Hi

I am after some advice/support.

I've just started mobile access in my environment, I can get the website using ie no problem however when I try and login I am unable to do so. On web access my users pass through as I use windows authentication but not sure what I need to do to get this part working? Any advice?

Thanks

Nay

Mobile SS.PNG

• 1. Re: mobile access and pass through authentication
          Stu McNeill Employee

Hi,

Check the "Web Access Url" setting for that application within Configuration Centre.  It should be pointing to an instance of Web Access that uses the same authentication policy.  It looks from your screenshot like its pointing to "ServiceDesk_Test.Mobile" - is that a Web Access?

• 2. Re: mobile access and pass through authentication
            Apprentice

Hi Stu

Thanks for responding, so should the url be exactly the same also? the mobile device does the translation?

You are right it's not the Web access, I have now changed it to point to the Web Access framework.

Thanks

Nay

• 3. Re: mobile access and pass through authentication
              Stu McNeill Employee

Hi,

The Mobile Self Service (now called Fuse) application runs on the server and communicates with Web Access as an entry point to the rest of the Service Desk system.  So the URL in the settings needs to be a URL that the server application can connect to.  The client/device that accesses Fuse/MSS does not have any direct contact with Web Access.

I hope that explains it.

• 4. Re: mobile access and pass through authentication
                Apprentice

Morning Stu

It makes sense, what I was trying to do was option one "Configuring a separate web address for Mobile Web Desk" of the document extract below.

Configuring Mobile Web Desk

Mobile Web Desk uses the same installation as the regular Web Access. You can control when Mobile Web

Desk rather than the regular Web Access appears in two ways:

l by creating a separate Web Access application and setting it to always display as Mobile, and as a

result using different web addresses for Mobile Web Desk and regular Web Access

l by associating specific device and operating system combinations with Mobile Web Desk

21LANDESK SERVICE DESK SETUP GUIDE

Configuring a separate web address for Mobile Web Desk

The easiest way of controlling when Mobile Web Desk is used is to add another Web Access application to

your Service Desk instance, and then set this to always display as Mobile Web Desk. The advantage of this

method is that you can be confident that regular Web Desk will not inadvertently be displayed on mobile

devices. The disadvantages are that you have to publish two web addresses, and maintain two

applications.

To create a separate web address for Mobile Web Desk:

1. In the LANDESK Configuration Center, open the required Service Desk instance.

2. Under the Available Applications heading, click Create alongside Web Access.

The Create Application dialog appears.

3. Create the application as described in Setting up the Service Desk Web Server on page 7.

NOTE: We recommend using a Name of the form instance.mobile.

4. On your Service Desk Web Server, browse to the folder

C:\ProgramData\LANDESK\ServiceDesk\ServiceDesk.Mobile.

Where ServiceDesk.Mobile is the Name of the web application you want to use for Mobile Web Desk.

5. From this folder, open tps.config in a text editor.

6. Add the following line immediately above the line </appSettings> near the bottom of the file:

<add key="AlwaysMobile" value="true" />

7. Save the changes.

This web address now always displays Mobile Web Desk.

Associating specific devices with Mobile Web Desk

If you don't want to use separate web addresses, and maintain separate applications for Mobile Web Desk

and regular Web Access, there is an alternative. You can instead use a single Web Access application and

associate specific device and operating system combinations with Mobile Web Desk. The disadvantages of

this technique are that you need to configure each different device and version of device, and each version

of operating system on each device separately. If the operating system on a device is upgraded, you may

have to configure it to use Mobile Web Desk again. Similarly, if someone starts using a new version of a

device, you may have to configure it to use Mobile Web Desk.

To associate a specific device and operating system combination with Mobile Web Desk:

1. On the mobile device, display http://server/instance.webaccess/MobileConfig.aspx.

Where server/instance.webaccess is the standard Web Access address.

The Mobile Access Configuration page appears.

2. In the Password field, type mobile, then click Log on.

The page updates to show a button that enables you to toggle between Mobile Web Desk and

regular Web Desk.

NOTE: Clicking this button updates which version of Web Desk appears for ALL instances of that device running

that version of its operating system.

Thanks

Nay