10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 3:49 PM by GaryH

IE 10 Software Distribution problem

GaryH Apprentice

9.5 sp1 - I've been pushing out IE10 to several Win 7 computers where they are running IE 9. I have been testing it as a standard exe software distribution package. I have tried various combinations of switches available available via the install.exe /?. Please /? me!

First, no matter what switches I use SO FAR, IE would always install in the background, give no indication it was installing and then reboot the computer automatically.  It's like it thinks I am using /quiet /reboot no matter what I use. I havent got to /norestart yet.

I was testing on the same box over and over again, with new switch options, and uninstalling manually every time. Then updating inventory on machine and the redoing with different switch combinations. But always, it installed and did an automatic reboot.

This last time, I tried with NO switches. And now it just seems not to be working at all!  Machine gets discovered and then it just hangs there and eventually fails with a message about host not being found (sorry, didnt write it down). But the host is right here in my office, and it's online with no sleep or hibernate.

So, did I just run out of valid test installs on this same box by doing it over and over again? And what's with the switch documentation that doesn't seem to work?  Like I said, I haven't got to try /norestart yet.  IF I can get past this host not found problem, I'll try that. but what does that do. Will IE 9 continue to work until restart or what?  24 hour shop.

Thanks

• 1. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
          GaryH Apprentice

BTW, that machine stays active for a long time and Then it fails. Im trying it again now. Ill post the exact message next time.  The length of time between discover and failure is at least 60 minutes, maybe longer.

• 2. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
            bcstring SupportEmployee

Garyh,

Since you are running it with no switches it is likely popping up to ask for the user to accept the EULA, but the Delivery Method is supressing the UI. While you are setting the package up, try using a delivery method that is set to Show Feedback. As far as the install switches go, Microsoft would have the info on which switches need to be in there for it to install. That being said here is the command line we use for silent install in our Patch install.

"ie11-windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe /quiet /passive /norestart /update-no"

Bryce.

• 3. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
              GaryH Apprentice

Bryce, Thanks. 

But the target machine was in my office and I never saw anything.

but I'm going to try again. Internet is slow at times and maybe that's where the timeout was. I don't think you need passive and quiet both because passive is like quiet with no user interface.  But I think I'll try it again and this time. Maybe /update-no will make the difference.

BTW, when you use /norestart does the old version of IE continue to work or does user just see nothing until they attempt to use IE and Then they are told they need to reboot.  Or what?

I'll let you know how I fare!

• 4. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
                GaryH Apprentice

Think I answered my what happens with /norestart switch.  it reported back that policy has been made available.  Should it then install on reboot?  At least it's not timing out!

• 5. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
                  GaryH Apprentice

At some point after host reboot after policy was made available, the deployment failed "Package Deployment Failed" with a return code of -25529.

host Hcdclient_task log shows

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:49 Launched application 'C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\landesk-share\IE10\32Bit\IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe' ('/quiet /passive /norestart /update-no') result 40007

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:49 Installation result 8DB59C47

and later

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:49 PostInstallInventoryScan: Successfully created inventory scanner task.

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:49 The nostatus flag has NOT been set.

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 PostInstallInventoryScan: Getting post package install inventory delay setting.

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 PostInstallInventoryScan: Initial delay value is '5' minutes

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 PostInstallInventoryScan: Initial random delay value will be up to '15' minutes

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 PostInstallInventoryScan: Actual random delay value is now '9' minutes

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 PostInstallInventoryScan: Setting up local scheduler to launch inventory scanner with a delay of '14' minutes...

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 PostInstallInventoryScan: Successfully created inventory scanner task.

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:50 Sending task status, cmd line -coreandip=servername:IPaddress -taskid=199 -retcode=-1917477817 -complete -pkgid=43

Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:43:51 processing of package is complete, result -1917477817 (0x8db59c47 - code 40007)

• 6. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
                    GaryH Apprentice

But at least it didnt time out!

• 8. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
                      GaryH Apprentice

Yeah, I think in the air I'm getting this time has to do with the prerequisite files.  But I'm pushing it out to the same computer that it had worked on several times while I was trying different switches.

However at that time I was not using the update no switch.  I think it worked for a while because that switch was not there and I was getting the prerequisites, and then it stopped working because I ran into some sort of the bandwidth problem that was causing the timeout.

Now that I'm pushing with the update no switch turned on, maybe that is the problem.

Each time I had successfully pushed on my host box before it just stopped working with the timeouts, I would manually uninstall Internet 10 after successful push.

So, the assumption that would be when I uninstall are you Karen it's also uninstalls some of the prerequisite files. Then I had bandwidth issues then bandwidth cleared up but I had the update no switch on and so now I'm to this error.

I'll create a new distribution with the update-no switch turned off, and see if that works. Depending on what I get, I might manually install the updates on the target box and then do it all over again and see what happens. At this point I am starting to suspect that the package delivery has no problem but what is getting warded is the updates.

Seems I have just enough understanding of LANDesk should know how it should work and not know too well how to deal with troubleshooting, even with all the help here. I just need more experience. Thanks for your help

• 9. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
                        GaryH Apprentice

This time it seemed to work fine. \quiet \passive \norestart.  Console Tasl repored back machine needed to be rebooted and reboot shows IE 10 as it should be.

I will continue deploying and keep this thread open for a few days - but all I can figure is I had several issues going on.

• 10. Re: IE 10 Software Distribution problem
                          GaryH Apprentice

Its all working now. Thanks everybody. I think I was seeing multiple problems and must of had some bandwith issues in the middle of it.