5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 6:14 AM by karenpeacock

Crystal Reports - Trouble Adding Object Class Type "_ConfigurationItemType

JesseCar Apprentice

I have a crystal report that we use for our organizations Change requests and I currently have a report that prints out some of the descriptions but cuts them off the size of the text box I have limited it too. I have a new report that will print out the whole description of each of the fields on the Change request process form. There are two trouble points.

1) The change form has a filed called "Config Type" which is a drop down menu that displays what type of configuration item type it is  (Application, Asset, Bundle, Clusters, Databases, etc. I cannot find where the table is that has the full list of the name or title of the drop down list. Since I do not have the tables correctly configured on the report every time there is a selection made in this field the report fails and does not pull in the data from the specified change request. I have searched the database for the items in the drop down list and cannot find the table that holds all the drop down menu selections. Sometimes it stops a h or q and it does not show anything past that?

Information of the settings for this attribute will be on first attachment.

2) The change form also has a corresponding attribute to "Config Type", which is "Config Item". Once they requestor selects the configuration type they are able to select the corresponding configuration item. For example if the config type is "Server" the requestor is able to select the specific server by selecting its name in the config type field.  Since I do not have the tables correctly configured on the report every time there is a selection made in this field the report fails and does not pull in the data from the specified change request. I have searched the database for the items in the drop down list and cannot find the table that holds all the drop down menu selections. My searches pull up md_attribute type, md_class_type and md_privileged_item. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Crystal Reports - Trouble Adding Object Class Type "_ConfigurationItemType
          ITSMMVPGroup

Object designer is your friend here.  If you note the attribute added in windows designer and then look at the name field for that attribute in object designer, it should give you the information you seek.   From memory the Configure Type is the Class Type.  As an FYI I've pointed Visio at the LDSD database and used the database tool which gets Visio to draw the picture of the ERD for you.  Don't select all the tables as it will get very big, but pick the ones you need and it pulls out all the relationships and draws the picture.

• 2. Re: Crystal Reports - Trouble Adding Object Class Type "_ConfigurationItemType
            JesseCar Apprentice

Hello dms, I looked at window designer and then Object designer and I think I am still missing something. The  Config Type is the attribute cm_change_usr_configurationitemtype and when I browse the field it just gives me guids not the configuration item type. Now, when this has been the case in past crystal reports I would have to find the table that held the list here it would be usr_configurationitemtype, but I cannot find that table? I think I need to get the Config Type displaying on report first and then link the Config Item. Also, what version of Visio are you using so I can try out there ERD tool.

• 3. Re: Crystal Reports - Trouble Adding Object Class Type "_ConfigurationItemType
              JesseCar Apprentice

Let me give you a little history, these attributes are "Class Types" that originated in the business object Metadata and we related them to the Change Management Change module and renamed the attributes to something we can identify with. To see the Metadata module we had to modify the console.config file to allow the metadata module to show and then do what we needed and change the config file back to what is was originally. I added the md_classtype to the report but it still did not display the correct attribute and returned no data.

• 4. Re: Crystal Reports - Trouble Adding Object Class Type "_ConfigurationItemType
                ITSMMVPGroup

With visio I did this about a year ago, so whatever version was current then or more recent would do.

I'm not sure why an extra config item type attribute was added when change has one already, but that's life I guess.  Anyway from the way you have explained it, when your new attribute was created it still pointed to the same basic table of class types.  I'd look through the list you have, compare that by eye with the contents of md_classtype.  I still think that is the correct table so perhaps you need to look carefully at the relationship you added from the attribute to the table?  Sorry I cannot be of further help and perhaps its time to call your local support team who could look at the database.

• 5. Re: Crystal Reports - Trouble Adding Object Class Type "_ConfigurationItemType
                  karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Jesse

Sorry for the delay.  I just came across this when looking for something else and thought I might be able to help.

When you say that "Sometimes it stops a h or q and it does not show anything past that" do you mean that within Crystal you are not able to see the whole list of values in the md_class_type when browsing it?  If so then this is because there are limits to the number of values Crystal will show from the database in this way.

Have you tried creating a new report with just md_class_type and md_module on it.  They link together via the md_module_guid to the md_guid.  See picture below.  Then you can drag the md_name from both tables onto the report to see if this shows you the values that you are looking for.

class type.PNG

Karen