7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2017 12:29 PM by erik.marple

Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish

rstacy Apprentice

I'm working on a Service Desk 7.7.2 installation that was partially developed by my predecessor.  He'd added a bunch of configuration item services that we are not using anymore.   Wanting to clean this up so that we can use the Service Catalog, I started out by going to Publishing and trying to clear out all the CIs.  Before I noticed the "Unpublish" option, I right clicked and selected "Delete All". 

This deleted the Configuration Items from the services, but now they are completely gone in Catalogue Management.  What is worse, they are still showing up on the Web Service Catalog.   This action did not Unpublish them.

Does anyone know how I can restore these items so I can unpublish them correctly?  Alternately, I'd be happy if we could just delete all of the Configuration Item data and start over.  All the data in here is about three years old.

• 1. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
          rstacy Apprentice

I recreated this issue on our development server and am trying using schedule manager to delete all of the configuration items.   I'd appreciate any feedback on this idea or any alternatives.

• 2. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
            SupportEmployee

Hi Rstacy,

You should be able to add them back into the Catalog. When you add an item to the Catalog it just sets a flag on the record to say it is in the catalog.

Once they are back in the Catalog select the services you wish to unpublish in the query on the publishing screen in the Catalog Management and select the unpublish action.

Calvin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
              rstacy Apprentice

Thanks, I gave that a try, but without any success.  I also tried deleting them from "Configuration Management" first then restoring them by removing the deleted flag in SQL. Maybe that messed this whole thing up further.  I think these are simply stuck in here.   Deleting all the Configuration Items from the dev server seems to have worked, so I'm going to run that route.

• 4. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
                rstacy Apprentice

I don't suppose that you know where the flag is that indicates whether or not an item shows up in the service catalog, do you?  This worked perfectly in development, however, when I did it in production, the old items are still showing in the service catalog.   Ugh!!!! 

• 5. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
                  SupportEmployee

Hi Rstacy,

There is attribute called ‘In Service Catalog’ this can be added to the window in Windows Manager.

It is easier to manage in the Service Catalog Manager. There is a tab called Service Catalog Contents will allows this flag to me managed in bulk.

If they are still showing add them to the Catalog and ensure they are not still published on the Publishing tab. They can be unpublished using the actions panel on this tab, after they are selected in the query.

Right clicking on the publishing tab will give the option to rebuild the catalog.

Calvin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
                    rstacy Apprentice

SOLUTION:  This problem originated when I realized updates to the service catalog were not being reflected in the self service web console.  With support's help, we first found that the "Free text search index path" settings in both the Application and Web server Configuration Centers were pointing towards the wrong location (an old touchpaper folder).   To resolve this, we created a new share in the correct location and pointed both the web and app services to it.  

After the change, the service catalog stopped working completely.  Error Message:  The wait completed due to an abandoned mutex.

To resolve this, I compared the security settings of the new share and the old share and realized that in addition to Network Service, I needed to add permissions for the web server itself.  I added full permissions for the web server "computername$" and the service catalog is working now.

Lastly, to update the Service Catalog, there is ALSO a helpful link in Administration >> Administration >> Knowledge Management Administration >> Knowledge Settings.   You can click to "Rebuild Knowledge" in actions and view the details in "Queue Entries". 

• 7. Re: Delete Config Items -vs- Unpublish
                      erik.marple Expert

I came across the super helpful "abandoned mutex" error today when attempting to view the Service Catalog after just updating a few items in it (2016.4). An iisreset appears to have resolved it for now. Just adding my experience for others that may wander in here because of it.