1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 10:12 AM by MarXtar

Help Needed for Running Reports: Want to discover new computers and software added to the domain.

Rookie

Hello,

I have been tasked to "Master LanDesk" (LanDesk Management Suite 9.60.0.244) for a fast growing company and have started running into issues, For starters, I need to be able to run reports that provide a few details such as all the devices and software (both licensed and unlicensed) on the network. Seems to me that when running an "All Devices" report I am only getting what appears to be devices with the LanDesk Agent installed on them and not all the devices currently on the network.

What I want to be able to find out and provide to my boss by tomorrow, if at all possible, is can I run a weekly report to identify new computers added to the network? Software that has been added? Licenses expiring?

When I run the "Unmanaged Devices" report I am not seeing a newly built laptop that I just added to the domain on the list. I have searched for its Device name, IP address, and MAC address with no luck. Do I have to manually add it to LDCORE to finally be seen? I want to be able to discover it as unmanaged and from there deploy an agent to "manage" it. Can be this be done?

Also, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I am aware some of our machines have paid for software with licenses but when running all the various reports for software license monitoring I am not seeing them. Essentially, what I would like to be able to do is run weekly reports to help determine what software licenses are expiring as well as new software that has been added to the network that were not authorized to be installed.

If someone could chime in and help steer me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Help Needed for Running Reports: Want to discover new computers and software added to the domain.
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

" can I run a weekly report to identify new computers added to the network? Software that has been added? Licenses expiring?"

Computers added? Yes. However you are right that your current reports show what has a LANDESK agent on it. You need to investigate 'Unmanaged Device Discovery' (UDD)  as this mechanism is there to find the devices that do not have an agent on them. If you have devices like that, how are they getting deployed without the agent in the first place? Your comment of it being a 'fast growing company' might indicate that the speed of growth is resulting in broken processes and bad practice. UDD is not a substitute for correct process, just a way to capture exceptions. You will have reports associated with UDD. UDD scans on an interval, so machines do not appear immediately.

Software that has been added? Sort of, but probably not what you are looking for. LANDESK as it stands today is a 'current state' inventory tool so you don't see change over time. You could schedule some reports and compare their numbers over time but there isn't a report that does what you ask here. In some cases you can look at the first discovered date for a file on a device but that does not always equal an application.

Licenses expiring? LANDESK doesn't (as yet) have expiry reports but it does have licensing reports. This takes quite a bit of work to get started with as software licensing is a 'fun' subject. If you have the Data Analytics module then some of the heavy lifting could be done for you.

In general, LANDESK can do some of the things you want but you appear stuck between a rock (not knowing the product and how it works yet) and a hard place (possibly unrealistic management requests).  If you have not been on training then to 'master' it you need to start there as you will then understand more of what is possible, but also what steps are required in order to get there.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements