1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 9:11 AM by mkfobian

Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96

Rookie

Can someone please tell me if this is a bug or is it by design?

We can see the SCN file get created under the \\coreserver\ldlogon directory but the bare metal server never gets committed to the database. The same process works fine adding it from the core server.

• 1. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
          masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

I tried this in our environment 9.6 and ist working fine. The client with the remote console is a Windows 8.1 x64, so this should be a special problem at your side and not a global bug.

Did you try it with the same credentials, maybe ist a permission issue? You said the SCN file is created under coreservername\ldlogon, are you sure it's not in coreservername\ldscan? Check the eventlog on the core if there are errors or warnings regarding the inventory service at the time you try to create the bare metal server. Are there any entries?

Kind regards

Christian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
            Rookie

Hey,

It is definitely going into the ldlogon folder. Same behaviour with any user. Same users can do this on the core server with no problem.

Incidentally, using the remote console, this command can be seen  in Process Monitor:-

“C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\barescan.exe" core=CORE name=PC mac=782BCBB34B98  out=\\CORE\ldlogon\PC.scn

Why is the console choosing to send the SCN file to ldlogon instead of the ldscn folder?

• 3. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
              masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

You are right, the .scn is placed in the ldlogon folder, I checked this at my core. Sorry for the wrong info.

I played a little bit with the inventory settings and activated the "Store Scan" option to see if a scan files is created in the ...\ldscan\Storage folder and restarted the inventory scan.

After that, I was not able to create a bare metal server too.

For your information, I always used the same Name (test) and MAC address (111111111111) for testing. Because it wasn’t working, I changed Name (test1) and MAC address (2222222222) and the device was created correctly. After that I was able to create my first test device too….

Very strange behaviour but maybe it’s worth a try. Just try to create a test device and see if this is created correctly and then create the device with the MAC you really need.

Hope this helps

Christian

• 4. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                Rookie

Still baffled

I played with the store ldscan option with no effect

I see the scn file temporarily appear in the ldlogon folder. It is processed by the inventory scanner on the core server (because it disappears fairly quickly)

The missing link is that it is never written into the inventory. Strange. Contents of scn look ok...

Device ID =Agentless

Scan Type =BAREMETAL

Type =Bare Metal Provision

Last Hardware Scan Date =1411369163

Display Name =test

Device Name =test

Network - NIC Address =111111111111

Network - TCPIP - Host Name =test

OS - Name =Bare Metal

LANDesk Management - Inventory - Scanner - Type =Bare Metal Provision

LANDesk Management - Inventory - Scanner - File Name =barescan.exe

Network - TCPIP - Bound Adapter - (Number:0) - Physical Address =111111111111

• 5. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                  jhackett SupportEmployee

Ben,

We have a defect out for this currently, several others are experiencing the same thing and we have replicated it in Labs. I will up date you about this information and when a fix is coming in hopefully another day.

Thanks

Jared

• 6. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                    steve.may Apprentice

Jared,

I'm having this issue too after upgrading to 9.6.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                      Rookie

HI there,

Same problem here exactly, still no solution?

Have to say I am again not impressed with Landesk, every release features a plethora of new bugs! Answer is always 'fixed in the next SP or release' or a bunch of people in the forums asking for help and getting nowhere.

Us --> 2015 --> SCCM -->

• 8. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                        steve.may Apprentice

I've heard it won't be fixed until SP1 is released.  This was a real issue for us considering we have about 15 desktop techs that only have access to the remote console.  I was constantly having to add bare metal machines for them on the core.  I found a temporary work around.  I was able to create a script that would use barescan.exe to create to the .scn file locally on their machines and then had the script copy the file to the ldscan folder on the server.  From there it was picked up and the bare metal device was added.

• 9. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                          rdittman Apprentice

We are experiencing the same issue - remote techs have been able to add to bare metal by running the following in command line -

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\barescan.exe -v  core=corename mac=macaddress name=name

• 10. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                            Rookie

FYI, this should be fixed in SP1...

LANDesk Case Number 00780218 has been updated.

The following comment has been added to the case:

"Hi Ben, hanks for the call. As discussed this has been committed by our engineering team and he target release for this 'fix' is in SP1. This is due to be released before the end of the year. I will now close your case as a fix in furture ......."

• 11. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                              Apprentice

I'm curious if this has been resolved for you with the update to SP1?

We are on 9.6 SP1 but are experiencing a similar issue.

Remote Console users cannot add Bare Metal devices, LANDesk Inventory Scanner reports an error "Unable to open output file \\coreserver\ldlogon\*****.SCN" and I do not see the SCN file created on the core server.

When attempting to run barescan.exe we get an error "unable to create ScanDirEmitter connection to core server:'core'"

If they are a member of the CoreServer\LANDesk Administrators group, everything works fine.

The weird part for me is that I have tried adding the Role of LANDesk Administrator and not having the user in the core's local group but that doesn't work.

• 12. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                                Rookie

Hi Wade,

I haven't updated to SP1 yet. There is a section under the "inventory9_6sp1_docx" readme for changes to Inventory in SP1 so I assume the problem I was experiencing has been fixed. ill update this thread after I have done the upgrade.

• We fixed the issue of creating a bare metal scan from a Remote console

• 13. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                                  amagi Expert

FYI.

The issue is not resolved in SP1.

Only local group "LANDESK Administrators" have full control on ldlogon folder.

As a workaround you can add write rights to local group "LANDesk Management Suite" on ldlogon.

I have an open case (00820773) escalated to PSE and waiting for an answer
                                  • 14. Re: Unable to add Bare Metal Servers on Remote Consoles LDMS96
                                    steve.may Apprentice

We upgraded to SP1 a few weeks ago, and our techs are now able to add bare metal systems from the remote console without a problem.

1 2 Previous Next