4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 6:18 AM by sprooney

Method to provide multiple label description on hidden dynamic window elements

AndrewWard Apprentice

The attached png images show a design where I have multiple sections each in a separate group box which I wish to hide or reveal dependent on an action chosen.

The 000 Default Window.png shows the dropdown list of the actions that can be selected.

The 001 Change Grade Title.png shows one action chosen and the hidden attributes revealed.

As can easily be seen because each group box contains a label of explanatory text the group boxes are always displayed when they should be hidden unless the relevant action has been taken.

I purposely chose a label because this introductory text does not need to be written to the database and therefore does not need to be an attribute. If the only way to hide it would be to make it an attribute there are two design constraints I would like to impose

• to prevent increasing the length of every record I would prefer the text not to be written in full to every record - I assume this would need to be a reference list of some description
      • it is highly likely this design will be utilised for other business processes on other windows and therefore I would like the lookup list to be usable across multiple windows rather than have to create a separate list of explanatory notes for each window.

• 1. Re: Method to provide multiple label description on hidden dynamic window elements
          Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately there isn't any way to show/hide a standalone label dynamically.  There is this ER which would be worth voting on regarding showing/hiding a full group box which I would hope would then cover any field inside it regardless of its type: Hide/Show Group Box with Window Calculation.

A couple of solutions in the meantime:

1. Probably not good for you due to the length of text but I've seen people put instructional text in the group box title itself.

2. Use a label from one of your attributes to include the instructional text.

As you've already said you could also use an attribute but it does then mean the text is saved with every record unnecessarily.

I hope that helps!

• 2. Re: Method to provide multiple label description on hidden dynamic window elements
            AndrewWard Apprentice

Thanks Stu.

I have already voted UP on the ER you mention.

Hadn't thought of using an existing attribute label. The issue I see here though is keeping the window layout consistent on the web form and still keep the meaningful text label associated with the field.

Is this a feasible solution.

Rather than have separate group boxes just have a single group box with all the dynamically hideable attributes within it.

The first attribute within the group box would be a dropdown list linked to a reference list and this would be calculated to pick up the relevant entry depending on the value of the trigger attribute and display it as read only. The reference list would contain entries for all the introductory text.

If this is a workable approach I am not sure how to structure the list or program the calculation to pick up the matching entry in the list.

For scalability I would like the reference list to contain text entries for other windows/processes rather than have a separate list for each one. Any thoughts?

I have assumed that by linking to a reference list in this way the attribute on the record would contain a pointer to the text not the text itself. Is this correct?

• 3. Re: Method to provide multiple label description on hidden dynamic window elements
              Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Andrew,

That is a good idea, and might actually be much simpler too.  If the section being displayed is always dependant on the "Change Required" dropdown, could you add a new String attribute to that reference list to store the instructions and just display that as a related field?  Then its value will be updated automatically when you select a value in the dropdown.

• 4. Re: Method to provide multiple label description on hidden dynamic window elements
                sprooney Apprentice

Hi Andrew - thought I'd throw in here what we do - we utilise an attribute that is created to specifically display the information required.  On setting up the attribute we will set it as an HTML field and set it to have a default value of whatever you need the text to be.  The nice thing here is that because it's an HTML field you can format the text as desired.

On the window itself we treat as anything else but we hide the toolbar and make the protection level read only.  Once you try a few things out it can look reasonably good.  One thing to watch is that regardless of the field size the default value is limited to (I think) 100 chars, therefore even making the field unlimited in size (-1) you are still technically limietd by the size of the default value.

Cheers,

Steve