11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 1:44 AM by phoffmann

Inventory scan failed from core server

Rookie

Im trying to run an inventory scan from the core server. From the Network view\All devices I right click the managed that I want to run inventory on and select inentory scan. The status of requested actions window appears with requesting in the progress field, in about 10 minutes it fails with this result.

[http://ConnectionOpen (Connect().|http://ConnectionOpen (Connect().]SQL server does not exist or access denied.Invalid connection string attribute

Any help would be apperciated

• 1. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

At a guess, you're having DB problems (usually the case if you get this sort of message from a service).

Do the following:

1 - Copy the whole string from your inventory scan shortcut on a client.

2 - Shove it into a command line.

3 - Add the following parameters:

""

/F /SYNC /O=C:\output.scn

""

This will write a full output-scan file to C:\ called "output.scn"

You want to make sure the inventory service is running at this point.

4 - Copy + paste this file to a location on your Core.

5 - Now shove it into your Core's "...\ManagementSuite\ldscan\" directory.

6 - If you get the same error message, the inventory service has problems talking to your DB (and it could be a load or resource issue for instance).

7 - If this works fine, see if you can do a scan from a client to the Core. Copy/Edit the inventory-scan shortcut and add the following parameters:

""

/V /F /SYNC

""

This will ensure that you get a verbose scan and see any errors. If the processing of the scan works, but this does not, you have a network problem (the client can't talk to the inventory service).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server

Oh and - it'd really help if you'd say what version & SP you're on...  

Paul Hoffmann

• 3. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
              Rookie

Sorry its LANDesk 8.8 on 2003 standard server SP 2

Connected to SQL 2005 DB

• 4. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
                Rookie

Did all of the steps you suggested and received no error.

Tried to run the scan from the core server and it returned the same error.

Is there anything else I can try

• 5. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
                  SupportEmployee

Usually when I see strange connection issues like this, first thing is I go into Configure | Services and reenter the db information.  Yes, it may look correct, but just reenter it and restart the core.  It is strange how many times this has fixed strange db connection issues/dropping connections.

• 6. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server

OK - if inventory scanning per se works, it's most likely that something in IIS is going to be broken. Odd that we throw up this error (you should be usually getting something like a "403" error or some such).

Would suggest opening a support ticket in this case - quite likely best if one of us gets eyes on that system via a RC-session ... IIS is the most likely part that's causing trouble here for some reason (when you right-click on a client for an inventory scan we go through IIS).

Paul Hoffmann

• 7. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
                      Rookie

Problem solved

I opened a case with landesk support as you suggested and he was able to see that I was using the wrong SQL drive .

Thanks for all the help

• 8. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server

Interesting ...

... how'd do you do that exactly? I ask as I'm confused - we haven't used ODBC connectors for LANDesk for years - so I'm a bit curious why a SQL driver (I'm assuming you're missing an "R" there?) could affect things here?

Some more info would be great (in case other people run into the same issue).

Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
                          Rookie

Your E-Mail kept coming back as undeliverable so I had to post it.

We are using SQL server 2005 and have changed the default port.

System DSN in ODBC had to be setup because we are not using the default port.

In order to connect to our data base during install I had to install the SQL driver for 2005 which is the SQL native client.

When I setup the system DSN I used the SQL native client instead of SQL server and did not specify the new port number.

If you need more info let me know.

• 10. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server
                            Employee

Right, the ODBC data source was setup as a SQL Native not SQL server and so it was using the default SQL port. We deleted the SQL Native connection and created a SQL Server DSN and changed the port in the Client Configuration setup and this resolved the issue. 

• 11. Re: Inventory scan failed from core server

Ahhhh right - thanks. That makes sense.

I actually wanted the reason on the forum, so if other people search for the error message string, they'll find it. Neat - thanks for writing the info up.

We've actually got a whitepaper when using non-standard SQL ports ... digs ... ah yes, it's in the normal white paper for installing SQL 2000/2005 with LDMS 8.8

For any future references, those are here (lazy links):

LDMS 8.8 - SQL 2000:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2528

LDMS 8.8 - SQL 2005:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2482

Paul Hoffmann